“We have always felt that whenever we are in transactions, even with larger firms on the other side, they have always held our own and that gives me confidence."
— Client feedback, Chambers USA
Transactions are the backbone of any corporate growth strategy. But not every transaction is the right transaction. And even the most promising opportunity can turn sour without the right team by your side.
Blank Rome’s team of experienced dealmakers and M&A attorneys understand that successful transactions take meticulous attention to detail, knowledge of your business needs and the environment in which you operate, and a sound strategy to bring all the pieces together to get the deal done. We close more than 160 deals annually. These range from tens of millions of dollars to billions, but the majority are middle-market deals ranging from $25 million to $500 million.
Our work includes responding to acquisition offers, establishing special committees, and advising proxy contestants, to structuring acquisitions and making acquisition offers. We can also arrange public and private financing to fund the deal.
Our corporate and transactions team is seamlessly integrated with attorneys who have deep experience in securities, intellectual property, tax, real estate, international trade, ERISA, employment, and environmental law, allowing us to address the unexpected and provide comprehensive service for your transactions.
How We Can Help
- transaction structuring
- tax structuring
- negotiating and drafting letters of intent
- advising boards on fiduciary duties
- preparing stock and asset purchase and merger agreements
- preparing regulatory filings, including banking and Hart-Scott-Rodino filings
We’re known for handling international business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, licensing agreements, distributorship and sales agency arrangements, and cross-border secured-financings.
We’ve been involved in all aspects of leveraged buyouts, from acquisitions by financial buyers to management-led buyouts, and we are adept at handling the acquisition and financing of public and non-public companies of all sizes. We have advised companies, management, and financial sponsors in numerous going-private transactions, employee stock ownership plan acquisition transactions, friendly and hostile takeovers, making of acquisition offers, responding to acquisition offers, restructurings and workouts, and spin-offs of company divisions.
Distressed business environments can provide tremendous opportunities for strategic transactions. Our attorneys counsel potential purchasers interested in purchasing assets from Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 debtors. We also regularly represent debtors, creditors’ committees, secured and unsecured creditors, investors, and investment banking and restructuring firms around the country.
What Sets Us Apart
- Top national and state rankings for Corporate Law and M&A Law in U.S. News & World Report—Best Lawyers.
- Blank Rome has been ranked top-tier in M&A Middle Market by the Legal 500, which states that the Firm is “extremely active in the purchase, sale, and combination of business entities.”
- Blank Rome consistently ranks as a “Top 10” firm focusing on M&A matters in the annual survey conducted by Directors & Boards magazine.
- Chambers USA 2017 ranks Blank Rome for its Corporate/M&A work:
- “a middle-market focused team advising clients on matters including public and private M&A, joint ventures and securities offerings.”
- “sophisticated Corporate/M&A practice receives much client praise for its ‘outstanding service and dynamic, entrepreneurial approach.’”
- “(Focusing) in midmarket transactional matters… The group wins widespread praise for its excellent service and ‘strong talented lawyers who respond instantaneously. ‘Sources also admire the practice because it ‘truly values and invests in its relationships with clients’”
- Our attorneys are frequent lecturers on M&A matters, and are well-known for “writing the book” on all aspects of valuing and selling businesses and capital formation entitles, such as The Complete Guide to Valuing and Selling Your Business by Partner Frederick D. Lipman.