Marty Luskin maintains a national reputation for counseling clients in complex commercial real estate transactions, including mergers and leveraged buy-outs of publicly traded REITS. He represents a wide range of clients, including real estate investment trusts, real estate advisers, financial institutions, developers, and universities with respect to:
- acquisitions and privatizations of publicly traded REITs
- sales and acquisitions of premier office buildings, shopping centers, and apartment complexes (including affordable housing properties) around the country
- joint ventures, partnerships, and limited liability companies
- commercial leases for retail, office, and warehouse space
- financing of multi-state portfolio transactions, including those involving securitized mortgages, loan syndications, and mezzanine debt
- recapitalizations of portfolios
Marty serves on the Firm’s Executive Committee and previously served as chair of the Firm’s Real Estate and Financial Services Department.
Chambers USA recognizes Marty as a “knowledgeable and responsive attorney with a wide-ranging real estate practice.” Clients stated that he is “exceptional” and a “creative problem-solver who gets deals done,” and also noted that “he knows how to compromise and provides thorough legal reviews,” is “very congenial, smart,” and “his advice is invaluable.” “Savvy and practical,” Marty is also noted as a “very strong private equity lawyer with good knowledge of corporate, partnership, and tax law.”
Marty is often called upon by the media to comment on high profile matters of interest to the real estate community. Lectures include: Negotiation of the Documents Before the Closing, IMN Summit on Real Estate M&A, Private Equity & REIT Privatization, Anatomy of a Real Estate Deal for Lorman Education Services, and Real Estate Issues Related to Expansion of Facilities for The Institute for International Research. Marty authored “Understanding the Role of CFIUS in Real Estate Transactions with Foreign Buyers and Lenders” and “Real Estate Construction Financing: The Pitfalls of the Tri-Party Agreement,” for The Real Estate Finance Journal.
- Marty was born in Havana, Cuba, and is proficient in Spanish.