Lawrence Beaser counsels individuals and entities in the fields of nonprofit and for-profit business law, health and health insurance law, and government law.
Nonprofit and Business Law
Larry's extensive experience in the areas of nonprofit and for-profit business law includes:
- nonprofit and for-profit governance and management, including conflicts of interest, fiduciary duties, compliance and regulatory matters
- nonprofit and for-profit mergers, divisions, conversions and joint ventures
- structuring and restructuring startups and existing single-entity and multiple-entity organizations
- drafting and negotiating procurement, employment, affiliation, ASO (administrative services only) and management agreements, memoranda of understanding and other types of contracts
- nonprofit and for-profit lobbying and political activities
In addition to the above, his specific nonprofit experience includes:
- academic medical centers, hospitals and medical school issues, including accreditation appeals and privacy
- donor relationships, grant documentation and charitable fundraising
- national, state, and local trade association governance, operations and contracting
Larry was one of the drafters of the Model Nonprofit Corporation Act, Third Edition and currently serves as Chair of the Model Nonprofit Corporation Act Subcommittee of the American Bar Association's Business Law Section.
Larry has experience as a board chair, nonprofit president, officer and board member. He served as Chair of the Board of Managers of The Philadelphia Foundation, a community foundation with approximately $400 million in assets. He currently is Chair Emeritus of that foundation. In addition he served as the elected Chancellor (president) of the 13,000-attorney Philadelphia Bar Association.
Health and Health Insurance Law
Larry's practice includes extensive counseling of entities in the fields of health law and health insurance law, including physicians and other healthcare providers, physician associations, academic medical centers, health systems, medical schools, the Pennsylvania Insurance Department and local governments.
His experience includes such issues as:
- corporate governance and organization
- conflicts of interest
- Federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act implementation
- contracting and procurement
- drafting and negotiation of self-insured arrangements, including ASO (administrative services only) contracts
- Medicare and Medicaid fraud and abuse
- HIPAA compliance and other confidentiality issues
- government relations and legislative drafting
- health system corporate restructuring
- medical staff issues
- patient care issues
- professional association matters
- compliance with Pennsylvania’s insurance laws and consideration by the Pennsylvania Insurance Department of health insurance company mergers and restructurings.
Larry has extensive experience in representing clients before state and federal administrative agencies, including:
- state agencies, such as the Pennsylvania Departments of Human Services, Health, and Education; the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General, state boards of medicine, osteopathic medicine, and optometry; and the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board
- federal agencies, such as the Department of Health and Human Services and the National Park Service.
As a former general counsel to the Governor of Pennsylvania, Larry has been retained on numerous occasions to draft legislation and administrative regulations and coordinate legislative programs with clients, government affairs professionals and outside lobbyists.
Larry is co-author (with Brian S. Gocial) of the Pennsylvania Government Contract Handbook (Thompson Reuters, 2009).
Larry served as general counsel to the Governor and as a cabinet officer in the administration of then-Pennsylvania Governor Milton J. Shapp. In that position, he provided legal advice to the Governor and other Executive Branch officials, including:
- reviewed all legislation passed by the General Assembly and advised the Governor in the exercise of his constitutional duties
- participated in the drafting of numerous statutes and legislative amendments
- reviewed, approved, and frequently drafted documents for the Governor’s signature, including contracts, bonds, and administrative regulations
- functioned as liaison between the Governor and officials of Commonwealth departments, boards, and commissions
- functioned as liaison between the Governor and the Judicial Branch of the Pennsylvania government
- approved, and frequently drafted, all Executive Orders, Management Directives, and Administrative Circulars issued by the Governor
- negotiated agreements and mediated legal disputes among Commonwealth agencies, between the Commonwealth and Federal Government, and between the Commonwealth and other states
- represented the Governor and at times other Executive Branch officials in selected trial and appellate court litigation matters of particular concern to the Governor; and reviewed and coordinated other litigation matters wherein gubernatorial powers, prerogatives, or policy decisions had been challenged
- served as a member of the Governor’s Task Force on Criminal Justice Information Systems
- reviewed applications for the extradition of persons accused of crimes
- reviewed recommendations from the Board of Pardons for the granting of pardons and commutation of sentences
In addition to serving as the Governor's general counsel, Larry served under Harold E. Kohn, Esquire as Deputy Counsel to the Governor and the Honorable Israel Packel as Associate Counsel to the Governor.
Larry also served as a Pennsylvania Deputy Attorney General for litigation and administrative law matters.
Larry began his government service as Law Clerk to the Honorable J. Sydney Hoffman, Judge of the Superior Court of Pennsylvania.
Larry is admitted to the Bars of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, the United States Supreme Court and other courts.
Bar Association Service
American Bar Association
Larry served on the Association’s House of Delegates. He is an active member of the Business Law Section, including:
- Currently serving as chair of the Model Nonprofit Corporation Act Subcommittee and was one of the drafters of the Model Nonprofit Corporation Act, Third Edition
- Active member of the Nonprofit Organizations Committee and its Nonprofit Governance Subcommittee
- Served for four years as chair of the Section’s Health Law Committee
- Served for four years as liaison to the Health Law Section from the Business Law Section
- Served for four years as co-chair of the Committee on State and Local Bar Involvement
- He is a Life Member of the Fellows of the American Bar Foundation.
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Larry served on the Association's House of Delegates. He currently is a member of a number of sections and committees.
Philadelphia Bar Association
Larry served as Chancellor of the 13,000-attorney Philadelphia Bar Association. He serves as Counsel to the Association and, as such, serves as an ex officio, nonvoting member of the Board of Governors.
He has held numerous positions, both elective and appointive, in the Association, including chairing the Association’s Legislative Liaison Committee for 11 years and chairing the Association’s Task Force on Pennsylvania’s Lobbying Disclosure Act and Philadelphia’s Lobbying Ordinance.