The energy industry has undergone a paradigm shift in the past decade, requiring businesses to approach energy issues on a strategic level that encompasses not only how to best maximize their understanding of the law, but also how to engage in business, economic, financial, and political strategy initiatives in a dynamic sector with shifting regulatory demands and economic challenges.
Blank Rome’s energy attorneys provide forward-looking insight into an ever-evolving industry while taking into account each client’s unique business concerns. From financing to acquisitions, development to construction, and procurement to distribution, our business, litigation, and regulatory experience can address a full range of energy industry issues. We work to not only bring established methods to bear on traditional problems, but to help our clients achieve a unique and competitive advantage in the industry.
We advise the full spectrum of energy-related clients, including:
- governments and national energy companies
- electric, gas, and water independents and public utilities
- oil, gas, petroleum liquids, and mineral producers, and nuclear fuel disposition programs
- liquid natural gas (“LNG”) importers, exporters, and storage operators
- pipeline, processing, and distribution companies
- electric transmission companies
- solar, wind, and hydro power developers and facility owners
- service providers, including engineering, procurement, construction (“EPC”), and environmental firms
- financial institutions, including private equity and infrastructure funds
How We Can Help
- regulatory compliance and enforcement
- transactions and due diligence
- regulatory proceedings involving natural gas pipeline regulations, rates, tariffs, capacity assignment and release, rulemakings, and asset management requirements
- disputes in federal, state, and local courts, and before regulatory agencies
- internal investigations and compliance programs, including in-depth training
- real estate, including leasing and land use
- project finance
- federal and state taxation
- intellectual property and trade secrets
- strategic policy and government relations
With more than 60 attorneys practicing across the United States, we routinely appear before the U.S. Department of Energy, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (“FERC”), U.S. Department of the Interior, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and various state agencies and commissions across the United States, as well as before federal and state appeals courts, to challenge and defend against agency actions and rulings.
What Sets Us Apart
- Our team includes a former U.S. Secretary of Energy, and former officials of the Environmental Protection Agency (“EPA”) and U.S. Department of Justice (“DOJ”).
- Several of our energy attorneys are former high-level executives in major integrated oil, chemical, and natural resources companies and one served as a general counsel of a major public utility
- Our attorneys also provide their insights in monthly articles for The Legal Intelligencer and Forbes; and they are routinely asked to be featured speakers at industry events. They often serve as educators for Continuing Legal Education seminars and webinars.
- We help our clients keep current on the latest trends in the industry through our regularly updated Energy and Environmental Trends Watch blog.