Blank Rome’s energy practice includes trial and administrative attorneys skilled in representing all facets of the industry—upstream, midstream, and downstream—with experience in every market sector: oil, natural gas, petroleum liquids, renewables, coal, and electricity.
Our litigation and investigations attorneys have extensive dispute resolution and counseling experience appearing nationwide before federal and state courts and regulatory agencies. Our team includes retired federal judges, attorneys with in-depth industry knowledge, experienced trial lawyers, and former federal prosecutors, along with key attorneys from our complex dispute resolution, white collar defense and investigations, and insurance recovery practices.
In addition to representing international and national oil, gas, chemical, and pipeline clients in multiple contested trial and arbitration proceedings, we have over 40 years of experience representing commodity traders, power marketers, producers, end users, natural gas marketers, and energy companies in state and federal regulatory proceedings, including more than 40 enforcement investigations by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (“FERC”), U.S. Department of Energy (“DOE”), U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (“EPA”), Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”), Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (“PHMSA”), and Commodities Futures Trading Commission (“CFTC”), as well as federal investigations involving the U.S. Department of Justice (“DOJ”).
Our attorneys also represent commodity traders, power marketers, producers, end users, natural gas marketers, and energy companies in FERC, CFTC, and FTC investigations involving physical commodities, over-the-counter derivatives, and regulated futures trading and allegations of manipulation, false reporting, wash trading, and various other regulatory violations. In addition, we regularly represent clients in FERC audits and conduct internal investigations and compliance assessments. We also work with clients to develop internal compliance programs to mitigate the risk of future investigation.
How We Can Help
We handle single-party, multiparty, and class action cases involving:
- Judicial and administrative challenges to grant or denial of federal and state regulatory permits and authorizations
- Contract disputes and other complex commercial litigation matters
- Management of incidents involving toxic torts or catastrophic events (e.g., pipeline explosions) emanating from pipelines, chemical plants, and refineries
- Royalties and natural resource rights
- Commercial disputes regarding intellectual property in the energy industry
- Lawsuits and disputes under the Fair Labor Standards Act related to overtime pay in the oil and gas industry
- Litigation and disputes relating to alleged Occupational Safety and Health Administration (“OSHA”) violations and retaliation claims
- Litigation related to international energy projects
- Litigation relating to oil field service companies, component manufacturers, and tool makers in oil well failure cases
- Criminal proceedings
- Deposition preparation and defense
- Insurance coverage litigation for policyholders
- Internal investigation and compliance programs, including in-depth training
What Sets Us Apart
- Our team includes a former U.S. Secretary of Energy, a former Secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, a former Chief Judge of the Environmental Hearing Board, and former officials of the Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Justice.
- Our attorneys also include former high-level executives in major integrated oil, chemical, and natural resources companies and one who served as a general counsel of a major public utility.
- Our team partners with energy experts and founded and sponsors an annual conference together with the University of Houston Law Center’s Environment Energy and Natural Resources Center.
- Our attorneys are active on the American Bar Association’s Environmental and Energy Litigation Committee, including one as a co-chair of the committee.
- Our attorneys also are industry thought leaders, providing their insights in monthly articles for The Legal Intelligencer, are routinely asked to serve as featured speakers at industry events, and often teach Continuing Legal Education seminars and webinars.
- We help our clients keep current on the latest industry trends through our regularly updated Energy and Environmental Trends Watch blog.