The energy industry has become one of the more litigious industry sectors, so it is critical to have legal counsel who are skilled and successful litigators, but also deeply entrenched in the industry. We handle litigation and investigations for producers, processors, utilities, and distributors of all forms of energy—oil, natural gas, petroleum liquids, renewables, coal, and electricity, as well as service providers that support these activities.
Blank Rome’s litigation and investigations attorneys have extensive experience counseling our energy sector clients in disputes in federal and state courts and before regulatory agencies. Our team includes two retired federal judges, energy specialists, general litigators, and key attorneys from our complex dispute resolution, white collar defense and investigations, and insurance recovery practices.
We have over 40 years of experience representing clients in state and federal regulatory proceedings, including more than 40 enforcement investigations by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (“FERC”), the U.S. Department of Energy (“DOE”), the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (“EPA”), and the Commodities Futures Trading Commission (“CFTC”), as well as in regulation-related litigation and any investigation involving federal prosecutors from the U.S. Department of Justice (“DOJ”). We also work with clients to develop internal compliance programs to mitigate the risk of future investigation.
How We Can Help
We handle single-party, multi-party, and class action cases involving:
- judicial and administrative challenges to grant or denial of federal and state regulatory permits and authorizations
- royalties and rights
- criminal proceedings
- deposition preparation and defense
- contract disputes and other commercial litigation matters
- management of incidents involving toxic torts or catastrophic events (e.g., pipeline explosions)
- insurance coverage litigation for policyholders
- internal investigation and compliance programs, including in-depth training
What Sets Us Apart
- Our team includes a former U.S. Secretary of Energy, a former Secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, a Chief Judge of the Environmental Hearing Board, and former officials of the Environmental Protection Agency (“EPA”) and U.S. Department of Justice (“DOJ”).
- Several of our energy attorneys are former high-level executives in major integrated oil, chemical, and natural resources companies and one served as a general counsel of a major public utility.
- We have an attorney who served six terms as co-chair of the American Bar Association’s (“ABA”) Environmental and Energy Litigation Committee.
- Our attorneys also provide their insights in monthly articles for The Legal Intelligencer and Forbes; and they are routinely asked to be featured speakers at industry events. They often serve as educators for Continuing Legal Education seminars and webinars.
- We help our clients keep current on the latest trends in the industry through our regularly updated Energy and Environmental Trends Watch blog.