Jonathan Waldron is a member of our Maritime Emergency Response Team (“MERT”).
Jonathan Waldron is the former chair of Blank Rome’s Maritime & International Trade Practice Group and concentrates his practice in maritime, international, and environmental law. Jon counsels clients, both domestically and internationally, in areas such as:
- environmental maritime compliance and pollution response
- vessel/facility operations and legislative and regulatory affairs
- Jones Act including citizenship, U.S. Build and Rebuild requirements
- coastwise trade
- maritime security compliance
- citizenship and crewing issues, including outer continental shelf exemptions
- criminal defense
- offshore wind farm permitting and compliance
- LNG licensing
- customs compliance
- fisheries industry compliance
Jon served in the U.S. Coast Guard for 20 years, attaining the rank of commander, and was senior counsel to the Marine Spill Response Corporation, where he provided on-scene legal advice at major spill events.
He is ranked by Chambers USA as a leading attorney for shipping regulatory matters, with Chambers sources stating that he has a “deep knowledge of maritime and environmental laws” and is “iconic when it comes to D.C. regulatory matters.” Chambers has also noted that Jon is said to be the “top expert on the Jones Act” and is “known for his prominence in matters relating to the Coast Guard.” Sources say that he is “the ultimate professional,” “knowledgeable, wise, well known in the industry and a pleasure to work with,” and particularly appreciate that he is “very well connected within the Coast Guard.”
Outside the Firm
Jon is an active tennis player and traveler.