Businesses are under mounting pressure to decarbonize their energy production and consumption using sustainable technologies.
This increased demand, coupled with improved cost efficiencies and brisk technological innovation in renewables, yields new opportunities—and a new legal framework—for energy consumers.
Blank Rome’s renewable energy team regularly advises clients from a broad range of industries as they look to develop solar, onshore wind, offshore wind, renewable natural gas, and hydrogen projects.
Our interdisciplinary team leverages Blank Rome’s diverse practice capabilities, and includes attorneys with significant energy, tax, maritime, real estate, government relations, Federal Trade Commission, and corporate and finance transactional experience.
How We Can Help
Blank Rome’s Energy industry team helps a wide range of clients with:
- Drafting, negotiation, and regulatory counseling relating to physical Power Purchase Agreements (“PPAs”) and Virtual Power Purchase Agreements (“VPPAs”)
- Advising on the installation and monetization of rooftop or community solar installations, including work with Virtual Net Metering Programs (“VNMP”)
- Working with building owners and energy tenants to structure Metered Energy Efficiency Credits (“MEEC”)
- Representing client interests on Capitol Hill as climate change, energy efficiency, and emissions reductions come to the forefront in Congress
- Permitting, zoning, financing, development, and utilization of offshore wind projects
- Advising on the financial and marketing aspects of renewable energy transactions on behalf of project developers and output buyers, including raising capital, negotiating derivatives and commodities transactions, and obtaining stimulus funds and other federal financial incentives
- Assisting in strategic planning for projects, including the evaluation of renewable portfolio standards, federal incentives, and sale of state renewable energy credits
- Drafting contracts for the construction of utility-scale energy facilities and evaluating associated licensing and technology transfer agreements
- Negotiating, structuring, documenting, and closing renewable energy tax credit transactions, including those for residential, ground-mounted, and utility-scale solar facilities, and wind and bioenergy production
- Advising on the development of green hydrogen projects, which involve electrolyzing water using wind or solar power
- Advising lenders and borrowers on renewables financing transactions, including the drafting and negotiation of loan documents and conducting legal due diligence