“A pre-eminent banking and finance practice that represents leading banks and lenders across the region and the country.”
— Chambers USA
The financial services industry continues to undergo unprecedented change and uncertainty. The aftermath of the financial crisis and recent technological advances have completely re-written the regulatory landscape and fundamentally reshaped the business model for the industry. Effective and innovative responses to this new environment are critical to our clients’ ability to remain competitive and execute on their core strategies.
Our attorneys serve financial institutions and holding companies of all types; ranging in asset size from several million dollars to multi-billion dollar entities. Whether it’s day-to-day corporate operations or structuring and closing complex loan and securities transactions, we provide practical advice and innovative solutions that meet our clients’ overall business objectives.
We provide strategic advice to the financial services sector across a broad spectrum of clients:
- Banking: banks and bank holding companies, finance companies, mortgage lenders, servicers, thrifts, asset managers, special purpose entities, and structured finance originators
- Securities and Capital Markets: investment banks, financial advisers, underwriters, trustees, placement agents, and acquirers in financial institution-related transactions
- Asset and Investment Management: private equity funds, hedge funds, private investors, pension funds, mutual funds, and real estate investment trusts (“REITs”)
- Insurance: insurance recovery for policyholders
- Markets, Exchanges, and Market Infrastructure: securities exchanges, clearing and settlement organizations, options and commodities exchanges, trading platforms, and swap execution facilities.
How We Can Help
Blank Rome has extensive experience advising financial services clients on a wide range of legal and regulatory issues and risks as well as crucial, strategic transactions. We are actively advising clients on Dodd-Frank Wall Street reform (including the Volcker Rule, derivatives reform and resolution and recovery planning), the Consumer Protection Act, and capital and liquidity requirements under Basel III, to name a few areas.
Our broad range of work includes:
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Mergers and acquisitions of various financial institutions
- Divestitures and conversions
- Sale, acquisition, and servicing of loan portfolios, including negotiation, structuring, and evaluation of agreements to acquire various types of asset portfolios
Finance and Capital Markets
- Commercial loan transactions
- Securities offerings (public offerings and private placements)
- Real estate lending, including Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae
- Structuring and documenting consumer credit products and services
- Alternative fund formation, management, and operation
- Distressed and par loan trading (portfolio sales and transfers)
- Asset securitization and structured finance
- SEC and exchange matters, and state and federal securities law compliance
- Bank Secrecy Act compliance
- Challenges to conveyances in: fraud of creditors, lien priority, and contract disputes; creditors’ rights; environmental issues; white collar defense and investigations
Bankruptcy and Restructuring
- Creditors’ committee representations
- Chapter 11 organization and out-of-court restructurings
- Secured lenders and select creditors representations
- Subprime lending matters
- Distressed investments and Section 363 asset sale transactions
- Corporate governance
- Fiduciary duties and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance
- Crisis management
What Sets Us Apart
- Our attorneys have a diverse range of backgrounds including partners who served in significant senior positions with the industry’s primary regulators, in law enforcement and in the general counsel’s office of the largest diversified financial services firms.
- We are ranked in 2021 U.S. News & World Report–Best Lawyers® (Woodward/White Inc.) as Tier 1 for Banking and Finance Law nationally and in Philadelphia and for Litigation - Banking & Finance in Philadelphia. We are also regionally ranked for Banking and Finance Law in Washington, D.C.
2020 Chambers USA ranked the Firm Tier 1 in Philadelphia (PA) and Surrounds for Banking & Finance.
Our financial services industry team knows the inner workings of the SEC, the OCC, the FDIC, and the OTS and one of our government relations principals is the former legislative counsel to the U.S. Senate Banking and Governmental Affairs Committee.
Our attorneys hold leadership positions in several financial services industry trade groups and legal organizations and are frequently called upon to speak to organizations such as the Mortgage Bankers Association, Commercial Finance Association, and the Equipment Leasing and Finance Association.