Joseph Welch focuses his finance practice on helping clients address challenges in supply chains, financial volatility, risk mitigation, and maximizing creditor recoveries. Joseph leverages extensive experience in real estate, insolvency, restructuring, bankruptcy, and related litigation to provide clients with in-depth insights and strategies.
He counsels clients across a range of industries, including lending, leasing, agribusiness, agrifinance, and real estate. He has served as lead counsel in representing investors, large banks, lenders, and international and Fortune 100 companies. Additionally, he conducts training seminars and presentations on trending legal topics throughout the country. Before practicing law, Joseph was the principal of a real estate and mortgage brokerage.
Highlights of his practice include:
- Creditor counsel: represents creditors in all aspects of bankruptcy and insolvency matters by enforcing rights and maximizing recoveries in matters across the country, including 100-percent recoveries for unsecured creditors.
- Secured lending: documents numerous multimillion-dollar loan transactions secured by personal and real property collateral, enforces UCC rights, and litigates competing security interests.
- Outside general counsel: advises agricultural companies supervising all transactional and litigation matters, from routine matters to deals over one billion dollars.
- Trial attorney: experienced first-chair counsel in cases won on circumstantial evidence; lead counsel on a complete defense of over $48 million in alleged claims against clients in both federal and state courts.
- Unlawful detainer actions: resolves complex/commercial unlawful detainer actions, including an award of prevailing attorneys’ fees and costs for defending one action at almost $1.4 million.
- Appellate counsel: acts as lead counsel on appeals before the bankruptcy appellate panel, federal district courts, and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Joseph is a Certified Bankruptcy Specialist, an elite designation from The State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. He also holds a California real estate broker license.
Outside the Firm
Joseph enjoys tennis with his wife and performing with his family’s string orchestra.