Whether buying or selling property, Blank Rome’s real estate practice can help you minimize risks and carry your transaction across the finish line.
Every year, we handle real estate deals ranging from $5 million to several billions of dollars. Our large, diverse team of real estate attorneys are supported by a deep bench of legal professionals with experience in public and private financing, environmental law, tax law, and corporate transactions.
Our team can diligence, negotiate, and document a broad range of acquisitions and dispositions. We are well-equipped to review issues involving title, land use, zoning, leasing, and the environmental and physical condition of the property and any improvements. Our attorneys can also advise you on the sale and acquisition of entities, such as private or publicly traded REITs and have handled several of the largest REIT acquisition and privatization transactions in recent years.
Our clients include:
- Developers (including homebuilders)
- Entrepreneurial real estate companies and individuals
- Financial institutions
- Government entities
- Hotel, hospitality, and leisure companies
- Office building owners
- Private equity funds
- Public, private, and nonprofit companies
- Retail and shopping center owners
We understand the market, and we understand the laws involved in real estate transactions. Whether you are finalizing a multibillion dollar portfolio acquisition or closing a single-property sale, we can help you identify the pitfalls, develop a strategy, evaluate financing and capital sources, and seize the (right) opportunity.
How We Can Help
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating letters of intent and purchase and sale agreements, conveyance documents, financing documents, tax-deferred and multiple-party exchange agreements, and escrow instructions
- Conducting due diligence with regard to property title, easements, compliance and permitting requirements, and physical property evaluations
- Reviewing environmental and property surveys
- Structuring and securing financing
- Analyzing tax issues and structuring transactions to minimize taxes (state, local and Federal) including, without limitation, 1031 exchange
What Sets Us Apart
- National and regional Tier 1 rankings in U.S. News & World Report–Best Lawyers® 2022 “Best Law Firms” for Real Estate Law.
- Chambers USA 2021 recognized practice and individual attorney rankings for Real Estate Law. Our real estate attorneys have been ranked in Chambers USA every year for the last nine years.
- Clients tell Chambers USA researchers:
- “Acts for an impressive list of leading financial institutions, as well as owners, developers and REITs.”
- “Possesses strong capabilities in zoning and land use issues and is also regularly called upon for its expertise in restructuring work and tax assessment matters”
- “Sources say the firm is ‘very, very strong in representing real estate developers.’”
- Recognized as a “Top Issuer Counsel” for U.S. commercial mortgage-backed securities (“CMBS”) by Commercial Mortgage Alert in February 2013.