CO-CHAIR, BUSINESS DEPARTMENT
Joseph Gulant has considerable experience in domestic and international taxation matters. He counsels public and private corporations, partnerships, funds, real estate and maritime-related companies, tax-exempt organizations, and individuals in all aspects of United States and international tax law, including:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Real estate transactional tax planning, including representation of REITs
- International tax matters including outbound stock transfers, tax havens, and treaty shopping issues
- Formation, operation and acquisition of Subchapter S corporations
- Structured finance offerings such as mortgage backed bonds, credit card securitizations, conduit arrangements, and owner trust financings
- Bankruptcy reorganizations, workouts, and restructurings
- Domestic and international leveraged leasing transactions
- Executive compensation planning
He also has extensive experience with tax controversies, including criminal tax investigations and prosecutions, civil audits, appeals, and collections matters.
Joseph is a contributor to Blank Rome’s Tax Controversy Watch blog (www.taxcontroversywatch.com), which focuses on addressing and providing a comprehensive review of the latest developments in the tax controversy field. Additionally, he publishes and lectures frequently on many varied taxation matters.