“…strong capabilities in zoning and land use issues…”
— Chambers USA
No two land use and zoning projects are the same, so it’s essential to obtain tailored legal advice that’s designed to meet the specific needs of your business. This requires a thorough understanding of regulatory, agency, and political environments to develop the appropriate strategy.
Blank Rome’s real estate team has helped clients navigate zoning and land use regulations and the state and local politics involved in procuring approvals for all types of real estate projects.
From large mixed-use community projects to the adaptive reuse of urban manufacturing facilities to a small project only requiring a special use permit, our attorneys can help you find the right approach to clear hurdles and pave your way to completion. Should you be challenged with eminent domain and condemnation concerns, we have experience representing property owners in securing multimillion dollar condemnation awards.
Our clients include:
- Major colleges and universities
- Major international hotel operators and developers
- National retail REITs
- Professional sports teams
- National food and pharmacy chains
- Religious organizations
- Art institutions
We provide an integrated approach leveraging the knowledge of a diverse team to advise on the environmental, construction, financing, acquisition, and disposition issues that can affect the evaluation and approval of zoning and land use applications.
How We Can Help
- Research of existing land use ordinances
- Preparation of applications for conditional use or zoning variances, if necessary
- Services to secure amendments of zoning or land use ordinances, and rezoning and master plan changes
- Representation before zoning and planning boards or commissions, and city councils
What Sets Us Apart
- National and regional Tier 1 rankings in U.S. News & World Report–Best Lawyers® 2023 “Best Law Firms” for Real Estate Law.
- Tier 1 ranking in Houston in U.S. News & World Report–Best Lawyers® 2023 “Best Law Firms” for Litigation - Land Use & Zoning.
- Chambers USA 2023 recognized our practice for Real Estate Law in Pennsylvania. Chambers researchers have stated Blank Rome:
- “Acts for an impressive list of leading financial institutions, as well as owners, developers and REITs.”
- “Possesses strong capabilities in zoning and land use issues and is also regularly called upon for its expertise in restructuring work and tax assessment matters”
- Is “…regularly called upon for its expertise in restructuring work…”
- “...is ‘very, very strong in representing real estate developers.’”