“They are extremely thorough yet also very business-minded. They really understand the space and are very efficient; a hidden gem in venture capital work.”
— Client feedback, Chambers USA
Venture capital is a vital means of funding growth for entrepreneurs and emerging businesses. However, there are many complicated legal issues that can impact the growth and success of your business.
Blank Rome’s venture capital attorneys work with parties throughout the venture capital ecosystem to help clients navigate its challenges. In addition, we offer a comprehensive program that provides legal advice, as well as tailored assistance with business and investment needs, for early stage and emerging businesses.
Venture capital investors and emerging companies require proper guidance based on experience not only in the law, but in the rapid paced environment of early and emerging growth companies. We provide counsel in venture and growth equity financings throughout an investment’s life cycle. While we represent businesses in numerous industries and stages of development, our primary focus is on information technology and software, healthcare IT, life sciences, fashion and retail, medical devices, and clean energy technology.
Our mission is to become a long-term partner by offering proactive business insight to help achieve your business objectives. To deliver the personalized advice you need, we work closely with our colleagues in corporate finance, business tax, employment law, employee benefits, intellectual property protection and licensing, international trade, energy, healthcare, securities, environmental law, and government contracts. Additionally, our strong relationships with entrepreneurs, financing sources, and investment banks can facilitate introductions and business relationships that can help advance your goals.
How We Can Help
- equity financings (seed and early stage to mature)
- convertible debt and bridge financings
- portfolio company acquisitions and divestitures
- fund formation, management, and operation
- regulatory compliance under federal and state securities law
- strategic alliances
- joint ventures
- shareholder arrangements
- corporate governance strategies
- Employee Retirement Income Security Act (“ERISA”) and tax issues
Services for Early Stage and Emerging Growth Businesses
Whether starting a business or expanding one, you require experienced and forward-looking legal counsel throughout each life cycle phase of your company. You face many unique challenges, from choice of legal entity, to profitable growth, to managing competitive threats and creating liquidity. Our business-minded team can help in devising sophisticated yet practical solutions to these challenges.
Our early stage services include:
- structuring and formation of business entities and corporate governance
- mezzanine and bridge funding
- intellectual property protection
- licensing agreements
- employment agreements, employee benefits, and stock options
- mergers and acquisitions, corporate spin-offs
- public offerings of debt and equity, including IPOs
- succession planning
- government relations
- counsel on day-to-day matters
- regulatory and compliance matters
- tax planning and compliance
- non-compete and non-disclosure agreements
- innovative financing arrangements
- business, marketing, finance, and communication planning
What Sets Us Apart
Blank Rome has long been a part of the venture community. We don’t just represent the emerging growth sector—we invest in it.
- We sponsor the Investors’ Circle, the Entrepreneurs Network, the PACT Capital Conference, the Entrepreneurs’ Organization EO Philadelphia Chapter, and FashInvest.
- Blank Rome has also been an integral part of the Private Investors Forum’s Angel Venture Fair, Funding Post, and Good Company Ventures.
- We founded and sponsored the HIMSS Health IT Venture Fair, which has been held annually since 2007.
- Top national and state rankings for Corporate Law and M&A Law in U.S. News & World Report—Best Lawyers.
- Blank Rome has been ranked top-tier in M&A Middle Market by The Legal 500, which states that the Firm is “extremely active in the purchase, sale, and combination of business entities.”
- Blank Rome consistently ranks as a “Top 10” firm focusing on M&A matters, according to the Directors & Boards annual survey of directors of major North American companies.
- Chambers USA ranks Blank Rome for its corporate/M&A and private equity work:
- “a middle-market focused team advising clients on matters including public and private M&A, joint ventures and securities offerings.”
- “sophisticated Corporate/M&A practice receives much client praise for its ‘outstanding service and dynamic, entrepreneurial approach.’”
- “(Focusing) in midmarket transactional matters… The group wins widespread praise for its excellent service and ‘strong talented lawyers who respond instantaneously. ‘Sources also admire the practice because it ‘truly values and invests in its relationships with clients.’”
- Our attorneys are frequent lecturers on M&A matters, and are well-known for “writing the book” on all aspects of valuing and selling businesses and capital formation entitles, such as The Complete Guide to Valuing and Selling your Business by Partner Frederick D. Lipman.