Martin Jacobs has more than 50 years of experience as a lawyer and businessman. He focuses his practice on general commercial and business matters, including negotiation of contracts and other arrangements. He also has extensive legal and business experience in horse racing and other gaming matters.
- Martin’s practice emphasizes planning, structuring, negotiating, and documenting business transactions, including real estate and financial matters, and resolving conflicts among business owners and others in their arrangements.
- He is a general business lawyer and has represented numerous start-up and other business entities in their formational and then later stage activities, including helping in obtaining investors and financing.
- He has represented seasoned privately owned businesses and public companies in contractual, litigation and regulatory matters, including federal and state licensing and administrative law matters.
- Martin was Executive Vice President and General Counsel and a co-owner of The Maryland Jockey Club, the then owner and operator of Pimlico Race Course (home of the Preakness, the second jewel of racing’s Triple Crown) and Laurel Park Racetrack in Maryland.
- For more than 20 years he was engaged in the management of those complex regulated enterprises which were generating more than $500 million annually in gross revenues.
- Among other activities he negotiated all of their major contracts, including: national television broadcasts; cable and sponsorship arrangements; acquisitions, sales and leases of real and personal property; and agreements with employee union and industry trade groups.
- He has also testified as an expert witness in behalf of clients in various regulatory and other matters.
He has received the highest rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
Before entering private law practice, Martin was in the U.S. Attorney General’s Honors Program at the Department of Justice, assigned to the Civil Division’s Appellate Section where he briefed and argued numerous cases in United States Circuit Courts of Appeal around the country.
Outside the Firm
Martin has served on the boards of directors of numerous charitable organizations in the Greater Washington, D.C., and Miami, FL, Areas, including the Hebrew Academy of Greater Washington and Young Israel Congregation of Bal Harbour, FL. He and his wife are the proud parents of four children and their spouses and multiple grandchildren.