CO-CHAIR, GENERAL LITIGATION PRACTICE GROUP
Alan Freeman is a trusted strategic adviser and legal advocate who helps clients achieve their business objectives while minimizing legal risk. Equally comfortable in courtrooms and boardrooms, he advises and represents clients in a wide range of industries, including hospitality, entertainment, gaming, retail, real estate, and maritime, in civil and commercial litigation matters in federal and state courts and in arbitration proceedings. He is particularly adept in managing disputes with public sensitivity, and he devotes his practice to reducing his clients’ litigation risk and rapidly resolving disputes when they arise.
Alan concentrates on assisting his clients with issues involving:
- Contract disputes, business torts, and trade secrets litigation
- Environmental contamination and remediation disputes
- Professional liability
- Employment and discrimination
- Civil rights investigations and racial profiling
- Internal and public investigations
- Admiralty claims and regulatory disputes
- Securities fraud and investigations
- Police brutality allegations, unlawful detention, and use of force
- False Claims Act ("whistleblower") litigation
Alan is a former law clerk to the Honorable John A. Terry of the District of Columbia Court of Appeals.
Outside the Firm
Alan is a leader in the Jewish community of Greater Washington, where he is a member and Immediate Past Chair of the Board of Governors of Charles E. Smith Life Communities (“CESLC”), a nonprofit senior living organization that includes independent and assisted living, the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington, a post-acute care center, and temporary shelter for victims of elder abuse. He has been a member of the Board of Governors since 2007, and has served as President of the Housing Boards (Ring House, Revitz House, Landow House, and Cohen-Rosen House) and as Co-Chair of the Guardian Campaign.
Alan is a leader in Columbia University’s alumni community. He serves on the Board of Directors and Executive Committee of the Columbia College Alumni Association, and he chairs the Alumni Representative Committee in Washington, D.C.
Alan is active in civic affairs of Montgomery County, Maryland. He was appointed by the County Executive to serve two terms on the Western Montgomery County Citizens Advisory Board, which he chaired in 2005, and he currently serves on several citizen advisory boards convened by the Montgomery County Department of Police.
- International Litigation, Defense, and Arbitration
- Securities & Shareholder Litigation
- Business Litigation
- Internal Investigations
- Whistleblower Complaints
- Trade Secret Protection, Employee Defection, and Unfair Competition
- Class Action Defense
- False Claims Act Investigations & Defense
- Coronavirus (“COVID-19”) Task Force