For over 30 years, Jon Grossman has practiced in the areas of patent law, licensing work, and copyright with an emphasis on computer software issues, including:
- Significant commercial licensing experience encompassing all aspects of contracting, including inbound and outbound licenses, development agreements, Internet contracting, and copyright related agreements
- Significant government contract licensing experience concerning issues regarding technical data rights and subject inventions
- Working closely with corporate teams on the IP side of M&A transactions and handling the transfer of intellectual property rights for business acquisitions
- Providing clients a full range of IP counseling with a business focus in the areas of strategic acquisitions, outsourcing, and joint ventures and enforcement
- Assisting patent clients overcome subject matter eligibility rejections at the U.S. Patent Office in the post-Alice context
Additionally, he has worked closely with clients in obtaining financing from venture capitalists.
Jon also has extensive experience regarding Internet legal issues including IP enforcement and defense issues.
Jon is recognized as a leader in issues concerning business method patent protection and intellectual property opinion making. He co-authored Intellectual Property Legal Opinions, Second Edition (Wolters Kluwer Law & Business), the leading treatise on IP counseling, which has been updated annually since 1999.
Outside the Firm
Jon is Co-President of the Adat Shalom Reconstructionist Congregation in Bethesda, MD (2016–2018) and was a Board Member from 2014–2016.
He enjoys section hiking the Appalachian Trail. He is an avid runner and enjoys bike commuting.