For over 34 years, Jon Grossman has practiced in the areas of patent law, licensing work, and copyright with an emphasis on computer software issues, including:
- Significant commercial licensing experience encompassing all aspects of contracting, including inbound and outbound licenses, development agreements, Internet contracting, and copyright related agreements
- Significant government contract licensing experience concerning issues regarding technical data rights and subject inventions
- Working closely with corporate teams on the IP side of M&A transactions and handling the transfer of intellectual property rights for business acquisitions
- Providing clients a full range of IP counseling with a business-oriented focus in the areas of strategic acquisitions, technology development, and joint ventures and enforcement strategies
- Assisting clients on all aspects of computer software intellectual property problems, including software-related contract performance and ownership related disputes
- Assisting patent clients overcome subject matter eligibility rejections at the U.S. Patent Office in the post-Alice context
Jon also has extensive experience regarding Internet legal issues including IP enforcement and defense issues.
Jon is recognized as a leader in issues concerning business method patent protection and intellectual property opinion making. He co-authored Intellectual Property Legal Opinions, Second Edition (Wolters Kluwer Law & Business), the leading treatise on IP opinion counseling, which has been updated annually since 1999.
Outside the Firm
Jon was Co-President of the Adat Shalom Reconstructionist Congregation in Bethesda, MD (2016–2018) and was a Board Member from 2014 to 2016.
He enjoys section hiking the Appalachian Trail. He is an avid runner and enjoys bike commuting.