“Significant commercial litigation practice, offering sought-after representation across a range of cases including securities…”
— Chambers USA
Today’s businesses are wrestling with increasing scrutiny by the government as well as shareholder activism, putting them at a higher than ever risk of securities and shareholder suits. In this type of environment, you need counsel who understands the threats and are prepared to help you find a solution.
Blank Rome’s securities and shareholder litigators know the stakes can be high and are prepared to take on these claims. We have significant experience representing clients in all facets securities class actions, shareholder litigation, corporate internal investigations, regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings. Additionally, our attorneys regularly work to get in front of a potential suit by conducting internal reviews of our client’s securities and shareholder issues and providing litigation counsel on compliance and best practices.
How We Can Help
Securities Class Action Litigation
We represent clients in class actions alleging violations of the Federal securities laws (including violations of the Securities Act, Securities Exchange Act, and the Investment Company Act) in Courts across the United States. These bet-the-company cases traditionally pose a significant risk not only to the company, but also to its senior management and directors, who are often named as defendants.
Our securities litigation practice has represented issuers, directors, officers, and other corporate executives in a broad range of securities class actions, including:
- alleged violations of the Securities and Exchange Act and the Securities Act
- disclosure violations arising from alleged accounting fraud to financial restatements
- insider trading and misappropriation
- projections and forecasts
- internal controls failure
We routinely defend companies, directors, and officers in matters commenced by government regulators including the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (“FINRA”), state securities regulators, and attorneys general, and other governmental agencies and self-regulatory organizations. These proceedings range from informal inquiries and formal investigations to administrative and judicial enforcement actions. Importantly, some of our most successful results have been preventing an actual enforcement proceeding from being filed.
We also frequently help defend civil lawsuits (including shareholder derivative actions) alleging state statutory or common law business torts against officers and directors. This frequently includes claims for breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, mismanagement, negligence, and waste of corporate assets. Our goal is to help our clients address, limit, or avoid the huge financial exposure, time commitment, and operational distractions these proceedings often cause.
What Sets Us Apart
- Law360 named Blank Rome a 2017 “Pennsylvania Powerhouse” and recognized “its prolific national litigation practice and deep bench strength.”
- Our litigation practice is recognized in Chambers USA:
- “Significant commercial litigation practice, offering sought-after representation across a range of cases including securities, antitrust, environmental, construction and cybersecurity disputes. Further highlighted for its federal appellate work and for its experience in class action defense.”
- Clients remarked: “The litigation team was excellent. Each of the lawyers brought a very interesting element to the team and they blended together well. They were great and I would highly recommend them!"
- Antitrust Counseling & Litigation
- Appellate Litigation
- Business Litigation
- Class Action Defense
- Privacy Class Action Defense
- Delaware Corporate Litigation
- Mass Torts & Complex Disputes
- Product Liability
- Pharmaceuticals & Medical Devices
- Toxic Torts
- Professional Malpractice Defense
- White Collar Defense & Investigations