The strategic use of natural resources, responsible and sustainable growth and the effective yet efficient compliance with applicable environmental requirements place environmental law at the forefront of business concerns.
Determining which federal, state, and local environmental regulations apply to your project or business can be complex and fraught with pitfalls, large and small, as state and national regulations change and evolve. When matters turn to government charges of noncompliance, whether in the form of notices of violations or enforcement action, an effective response requires experienced counsel who not only can work with clients to quickly determine a course of action that will work, but who also have the respect of and credibility with government regulators to bring the matter to an appropriate and supportable resolution.
Blank Rome’s nationally-recognized environmental attorneys have broad experience working with clients in many business sectors, including but not limited to energy, chemical, manufacturing, transportation, real estate, life sciences and pharmaceuticals, public and private finance and investment, and healthcare. We also provide counsel to municipal and county governments, and redevelopment authorities.
Our team brings a wealth of experience dealing with environmental issues and provides services as diverse as air and water-related operating permits and project development, internal investigations, and Resource Conservation and Recovery Act ("RCRA") and Superfund remediation and cost recovery actions. We stay ahead of regulatory developments to provide effective and relevant compliance strategies that help you avoid liability. We do this as a team, often drawing from the experience and expertise of others within the Firm, including attorneys specializing in private and public finance, real estate, maritime law, tax law, corporate law, and litigation.
How We Can Help
- due diligence, compliance auditing, and environmental management systems
- corporate, real estate, and lending transactions
- construction and operating permits for project development
- underground and aboveground storage tanks
- medical waste management
- civil and criminal enforcement and litigation
- internal corporate criminal investigations
- natural resource damages claims
- toxic tort claims, including class actions
- Clean Air Act ("CAA")
- Clean Water Act ("CWA") and wetlands
- Toxic Substances Control Act ("TSCA") and pesticide laws
- RCRA and hazardous waste management
- Superfund and voluntary remediation programs, including cost recovery actions
- Hazardous Materials Transportation Act ("HMTA")
What Sets Us Apart
- The team includes former trial attorneys from the U.S. Department of Justice ("DOJ"), including the Environmental Crimes Section, former officials of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency ("EPA"), and former Assistant United States Attorneys.
- One member served six terms as co-chair of the American Bar Association’s (“ABA”) Environmental and Energy Litigation Committee and is currently serving his 8th term as a member of what was previously the ABA’s Standing Committee of Environmental Law.
- Members of the group write, lecture, and teach on environmental law topics, and have earned public recognition for their work.
- 2017 Chambers USA ranked Blank Rome for Environment in Pennsylvania
- 2018 U.S. News & World Report—Best Lawyers (Woodward/White, Inc.) national ranks: Litigation – Environmental: Tier 2
- 2018 U.S. News & World Report—Best Lawyers (Woodward/White, Inc.) regional ranks:
- Litigation – Environmental: Tier 2, New Jersey and Philadelphia
- Environmental Law: Tier 2, Philadelphia