Companies and organizations faced with environmental enforcement actions need to respond to federal, state, or local regulatory agencies, the outcome of which could have a significant impact on the company’s operations and financial health.
Blank Rome’s environmental attorneys represent clients in federal and state civil and criminal enforcement actions as well as with judicial consent decrees, administrative compliance orders, civil penalty assessments, natural resource damages assessments, and citizens’ suit actions to enforce federal and state environmental laws.
Our previous positions as high-ranking government officials as well as our business relationships across sectors means you are working with a team that is more than knowledgeable in the specific issues and risks faced by many in the regulated community, including the following industries:
- Real estate
- Consumer products
- Oil and gas
We have extensive experience reaching favorable negotiated settlements, which are often resolved before significant litigation costs are incurred. These efforts often include full or significant penalty mitigation with various EPA Regional Offices as well as many state environmental agencies.
How We Can Help
- Clean Air Act (“CAA”)
- Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (“CERCLA”)/Superfund
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (“RCRA”)
- Toxic Substances Control Act (“TSCA”)
- Clean Water Act (“CWA”)
- Endangered Species Act (“ESA”)
- Safe Drinking Water Act (“SDWA”)
- National Environmental Policy Act (“NEPA”) and California Environmental Quality Act (“CEQA”)
- Oil Pollution Act (“OPA”)
- Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (“FIFRA”)
- National Environmental Policy Act (“NEPA”)
- Oil Pollution Act (“OPA”)
What Sets Us Apart
- The team includes former trial attorneys from the U.S. Department of Justice (“DOJ”), former officials of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (“EPA”), and former Assistant United States attorneys.
- One member served six terms as co-chair of the American Bar Association’s (“ABA”) Environmental and Energy Litigation Committee and is currently serving his 8th term as a member of what was previously the ABA’s Standing Committee of Environmental Law.
- Members of the group write, lecture, and teach on environmental law topics, and have earned public recognition for their work.
- 2023 U.S. News & World Report—Best Lawyers (Woodward/White, Inc.) national ranks:
- Litigation – Environmental
- 2023 U.S. News & World Report—Best Lawyers (Woodward/White, Inc.) regional ranks:
- Litigation – Environmental in Philadelphia (Tier 1) and New Jersey
- Environmental Law in Philadelphia
- Chambers USA has ranked Blank Rome for Environment in Pennsylvania