CO-CHAIR, MARITIME & INTERNATIONAL TRADE PRACTICE GROUP
Jeanne Grasso is a member of our Maritime Emergency Response Team (“MERT”).
Jeanne Grasso focuses her practice on maritime, international, and environmental law for clients worldwide. Jeanne counsels owners and operators of vessels, charterers, cargo owners, and facilities, including manufacturing facilities, both marine-side and inland. Her practice involves:
- Regulatory compliance counseling related to the U.S. Coast Guard; Environmental Protection Agency; U.S. Customs and Border Protection; and Maritime Administration, among other federal and state agencies, including providing advice regarding ballast water, air emissions, EPA’s Vessel General Permit, and maritime security
- Internal and grand jury investigations
- Defense of administrative, civil, and criminal enforcement actions
- Counseling on risk mitigation strategies related to pollution incidents around the world
- Maritime environmental compliance and training in connection with federal and state requirements pollution incident response
- Coastwise trade matters
- Identifying administrative and legislative solutions in connection with maritime and environmental compliance challenges
Jeanne writes and lectures extensively on criminal enforcement of environmental laws and U.S. Coast Guard regulatory matters. She also conducts training sessions and helps clients establish compliance programs in an effort to avoid enforcement actions.
Before she joined Blank Rome, Jeanne worked in the Office of Congressional Affairs at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (“NOAA”) handling fisheries and oceans matters. She also served as staff to the House of Representatives’ Committee on Merchant Marine and Fisheries.
Jeanne is highly ranked by Chambers USA for her work in shipping regulatory matters, where a client source stated, “When I think of her, I think of Coast Guard matters, and I think highly of her.” Chambers has also described her as a “distinguished practitioner known for her useful government relations expertise.” Clients said that she is “a smart, hard-working person and a good role model” who is “very tapped into the community worldwide.”
Outside the Firm
Jeanne’s passion is SCUBA diving. She is also an avid golfer and cyclist, and die hard Notre Dame fan.