Alan Hoffman serves as chairman and managing partner of Blank Rome LLP. In this capacity, he oversees the Firm’s day-to-day operations, implements the Firm’s growth strategy for its expanding national and international platform, and manages the overall leadership, direction, profitability, and culture of the Firm. Alan was named chairman in 2014, and has served as managing partner since 2011. He served as co-chairman from 2008 to 2013, and as the Firm’s litigation department head from 1996 to 2008.
In recognition of his achievements and contributions as a business and civic leader, Alan has received the following designations:
- 2017 “Distinguished Leader” – The Legal Intelligencer
- 2016 “Most Admired CEO” – Philadelphia Business Journal
- 2015 “Power 76” recipient – Philadelphia Business Journal
Under his leadership, Blank Rome has achieved numerous recognitions. Recent highlights include:
- 2017 “Pennsylvania Powerhouse” – Law360
- 2017 “Global 100” – The American Lawyer – Blank Rome “achieved the highest growth in revenue among the entire Global 100, with its top line soaring 22.5 percent, to $422.5 million.”
- 2017 “Best Law Firm for Women” – Working Mother magazine
- 2017 “Am Law 100” – The American Lawyer – Ranked 78th, rising 16 places from 2016.
- 2017, 2016 – “Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality” – Blank Rome received a perfect score of 100 percent on the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index.
- 2016 – “Human Rights First’s Marvin Frankel Award” – Blank Rome recognized for outstanding dedication to pro bono service.
Alan is also frequently invited to speak on issues concerning the business of law in today’s marketplace. He was selected to participate in The National Symposium on Diversity in the Legal Profession, presented by the Philadelphia Bar Association’s Office of Diversity, where he served as a panelist for the plenary session, “A Vision for Collaboration,” which addressed the current state of diversity in the legal profession and the importance of collaboration to advance diversity and inclusion.
In his practice, Alan handles complex corporate and criminal litigation. He has extensive trial and appellate experience in both the federal and state courts. Alan has particular experience representing both corporations and individuals in:
- commercial disputes
- government contract litigation
- product liability litigation
- civil and criminal environmental matters
- securities cases
- intellectual property
- banking cases
Alan also serves as national lead trial counsel in the defense of over 150 environmental pollution and product liability cases on behalf of a multinational chemical company.
In addition to his trial experience, Alan devotes significant time to preventive counseling on behalf of clients, presents seminars to corporate managers on current developments in the law, and conducts corporate internal investigations. Alan has recently been involved in numerous alternative dispute resolution and mediation cases, assisting clients to avoid high litigation expenses.
Alan began his career as a federal prosecutor with the United States Department of Justice, having been recruited to serve as part of the Attorney General’s Honors Program. He served as a Supervising Assistant United States Attorney and, as a result of his trial achievements, he received the prestigious Attorney General’s Special Commendation Award.
Alan has written extensively on product liability and class action litigation and served as co-author for two journals on audit committees. He is a lecturer at the CPA Club for Continuing Professional Experience, where he speaks on developments in the law as it impacts certified public accountants and other accounting professionals.