Regulators and government authorities are keeping a close eye on developments in the technology and software industry and the way business continues to evolve. Often regulations and laws don’t move at the same speed as the industry, resulting in confusion and uncertainty. Businesses need counsel who keeps pace with the changes taking place to help them thrive in this complex environment.
Our software industry team includes attorneys and IP professionals who have a deep understanding of critical global issues challenging the software industry today. We have extensive experience dealing with a wide range of software, hardware, and system technologies and know the unique difficulties our clients face.
From start-ups to multinational companies, from niche developers to leading enterprise software providers, we identify our clients’ needs and strategic objectives in order to help them achieve their business goals. We protect their intellectual capital and provide guidance with respect to licensing, business methods, data security, databases, open-source software, patents, trade secrets, branding, design, hardware, and software applications. We also negotiate transactions that help monetize their intellectual assets and defend them when infringements occur.
How We Can Help
- Structuring and executing project management methodologies for large-scale development and implementation projects
- Preparing and negotiating software, technology, copyright, patent, trademark, and other intellectual property licenses and agreements, including:
- Development, design implementation, integration, hosting, software as a service (“SaaS”), platform as a service (“PaaS”), infrastructure as a service (“IaaS”), and other cloud-related agreements
- Underpinning maintenance and support, service level, disaster recovery, and source code escrow agreements
- Transferring and monetizing technology, including outsourcing, OEM, VAR, resale, private-label, supply, manufacturing, fulfillment, and other sourcing and distribution agreements and models
- Assisting with website and app development and maximization, including targeted and behavioral advertising, collection and use of user generated content, as well as development, design, and hosting agreements
- Preparation and negotiation of data supply and license agreements, as well as related security and privacy issues for collection, use, licensing, and sale of aggregate and personally identifiable information
- Providing due diligence and transactional counseling for the acquisition and sale of public and private entities with respect to intellectual property and other intangible assets
- Creation, administration, and registration and bonding of sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions, including rule preparation, liability releases, review of advertising and marketing materials, and response to regulatory inquiries;
- Structuring and restructuring companies
- Resolving disputes though mediation and litigation
- Recovering stolen trade secrets and confidential information
- Enforcing protective orders
- Resolving executive compensation and employment issues
- Securing finance