Peter Weissman concentrates his practice in patent litigation in the federal courts and prosecution before patent offices in the U.S. and abroad, primarily in the areas of the Internet, software, biomedical, information technology, RFID technology, telecommunications, and the electrical and mechanical arts. He counsels clients in a wide range of intellectual property matters including:
- patent procurement and strategies for start-up and established companies
- patent portfolio management
- prosecuting and defending patent infringement actions before U.S. district courts
- due diligence investigations to assess the strengths and weaknesses of company intellectual property during a transfer of ownership, funding, and other transitional phases
- university technology transfer, licensing, and due diligence investigating
- trademark procurement, licensing and portfolio management, and strategies for start-up and established companies
- recordal of insignia pursuant to the fastener quality act (FQA)
- trade secret protection
- copyright procurement
Prior to joining Blank Rome, Peter served as a Patent Examiner at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Speaker, GW BizPlanComp Workshop: Preparing to Win – What to Do Now!, GW Office of Entrepreneurship, 2011-2015.
- Speaker, Preparing for the Exit, Early Stage East Conference, December 2010.
- Panel Member, Effectively Negotiating with a Venture Capitalist, Early Stage East Conference, December 2010.
- Speaker, Trademarks and Copyrights for Startup Companies, National Council of Entrepreneurial Tech Transfer (NCET2) Webinar, April 24, 2008.
- Speaker, Issues for Budding Entrepreneurs, Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management, The George Washington University School of Business, 2008-2013.
- Master of Ceremonies, The George Washington University Award for Distinguished Entrepreneurial Achievement, October 2007 and October 2008.
- Speaker, East Asia Symposium: Hong Kong – Gateway to Opportunity, Philadelphia University School of Business Administration, March 2007.
- Speaker, Patent Issues for Start-Ups, from Lab to IPO: The University Start-Up, The George Washington University, February 2006.
- Speaker, Patent and Trademark Issues for Companies Engaged in Foreign Business, Russian Science & Technology Opportunities for U.S. Companies, sponsored by Pennsylvania Russian Business Council, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, June 20, 2001 and Wilmington, DE, October 11, 2001.
- Speaker, Intellectual Property Protection for Emerging Businesses, June 23, 1999.
- Author, Computer Software as Patentable Subject Matter: Contrasting United States, Japanese and European Laws, 23 AIPLA QJ 525, No. 3 (Summer 1995).
- Author, Is Your FQA Insignia Still Active ???, Fastener World, Vol. 56, pp.188-191 (May/June 1999); Distributor’s Insignia No Longer Satisfies FQA!!!, Fastener World, Vol. 59, No. 6, pp. 230-33, (Nov./Dec. 1999).
- Speaker, Intellectual Property 101, Northern Virginia Community College, 2013.