Alex Hassid represents clients in complex litigation in federal and state courts and in arbitration. His diverse client base includes large companies, mid-sized manufacturers, foreign real estate investment entities, law firms, and individuals. Alex’s broad experience covers all phases of litigation, from inception through trial and appeal, and includes finding creative and efficient ways to navigate increasingly costly electronic discovery. He has significant trial experience in federal and state court and has handled appeals to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First, Second, Fourth, and Tenth Circuits. Alex regularly counsels clients seeking to avoid costly litigation and routinely spearheads settlement negotiations for those interested in resolving ongoing disputes.
Some of the areas in which Alex has assisted clients include:
- Complex business issues, including fraud-related claims, contract breaches, partnership disputes, RICO, and other business torts
- Government contracts issues, including defending substantial False Claims Act litigation, litigating disputes between prime and subcontractors, and defending trade-secret claims
- Antitrust issues, including prosecuting and defending against price fixing and monopolization claims
- Professional liability claims, including prosecuting and defending legal malpractice claims
Alex’s recent engagements include:
- Obtained a favorable settlement and arbitration award in connection with an intra-partnership dispute and alleged breaches of fiduciary duties
- Achieved a favorable settlement (during trial) for several plaintiff producers of foam in price-fixing antitrust litigation
- Obtained dismissal of RICO claims brought against foreign real estate investment entity based on newly issued Supreme Court decision
- Obtained dismissal of legal malpractice claims in state court through early motion practice
- Obtained a favorable settlement for manufacturing client in connection with alleged breach of contract claim by supplier
Outside of his core litigation practice, Alex is committed to providing pro bono legal services, having represented organizations pursuing fair housing claims, submitting amicus briefs on behalf of social justice organizations, defending individuals in landlord-tenant matters, and representing injured veterans seeking benefits. He also leads Blank Rome’s annual United Way Campaign for its D.C. office.
Previously, Alex served as an intern for the Honorable Eric T. Washington in the District of Columbia Court of Appeals.