Alex Hassid represents clients in a variety of complex federal and state court litigation and arbitration. His diverse client-base includes large corporations, mid-sized manufacturers, foreign real estate investment entities, law firms, and individuals. Alex’s broad experience covers all phases of litigation, from finding creative, cost-efficient ways to navigate electronic discovery issues to preparing and deposing expert witnesses on complicated factual issues. He has significant trial and appellate experience that includes a ten-week antitrust trial and preparing briefs to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First, Second, Fourth, and Tenth Circuits. Beyond litigation, Alex regularly spearheads settlement negotiations for clients interested in resolving costly litigation and counsels clients on handling disputes before they reach litigation.
Some of the areas in which Alex has assisted clients include:
- Complex business issues, including fraud-related claims, contract breaches, RICO, and other business torts
- Antitrust issues, including prosecuting and defending against price fixing and monopolization claims
- Government contracts issues, including defending False Claims Act litigation, litigating disputes between contractors, and defending trade-secret claims
- Professional liability claims, including prosecuting and defending legal malpractice claims
Alex’s recent engagements include:
- Achieving a favorable settlement (during trial) for several plaintiff producers of foam in price-fixing antitrust litigation
- Obtaining dismissal of several RICO claims against foreign real estate investment entity based on newly issued Supreme Court decision
- Obtaining dismissal of legal malpractice claims against a law firm in state court through early motion practice
- Achieved favorable settlement for manufacturing client in connection with alleged breach of contract by supplier
Outside of his core litigation practice, Alex is committed to providing pro bono legal services, having represented organizations pursuing fair housing act claims, submitting amicus briefs on behalf of social justice organizations, defending individuals in landlord-tenant matters, and representing injured veterans seeking benefits. He also leads Blank Rome’s annual United Way Campaign for its D.C. office.
Previously, Alex served as an intern for the Honorable Eric T. Washington in the District of Columbia Court of Appeals.