CO-CHAIR, MARITIME & INTERNATIONAL TRADE PRACTICE GROUP
Bill Bennett is a member of our Maritime Emergency Response Team (“MERT”).
Bill’s clients are predominantly in the global shipping, trade, and energy markets. He has spent his career providing legal assistance on a broad range of international matters. Bill handles contentious and non-contentious matters for a large global client base. He has arbitrated and litigated many significant marine and shore-based disputes, including:
- Complex shipping and international trade disputes
- Large casualties resulting in wrongful death and personal injury
- Collisions, allisions, groundings, and sinkings
- Fire damage
- Insurance coverage disputes
Bill has also served as arbitrator and mediator for marine personal injury and contract disputes.
Bill is a graduate of SUNY Maritime College, sailed as a licensed officer, and holds a degree in Naval Architecture. In connection with his education at SUNY Maritime College, he obtained his Unlimited Third Mate’s license from the United States Coast Guard (“USCG”). He worked aboard various vessels in the capacity of Third Mate, Second Mate (limited tonnage), and Master (limited tonnage), including oil tankers, ocean-going tugs, dredges, and yachts.
Chambers USA notes that a client describes Bill as “very personable, doesn’t deal in legalese, provides succinct and clear advice and provides it quickly.”
Bill is a frequent presenter and has spoken on topics such as:
- “Ethical Issues Arising from Media Involvement in Marine Casualties,” Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute’s (“SEALI”) 2019 Summer Seminar
- “The Staten Island and SeaStreak Ferry Casualties: Pointers on How to Deal with the Press, National Transportation Safety Board, and United States Coast Guard,” for the New York City Bar Association
- “Protecting Maritime Liens in U.S. Bankruptcy Cases,” at the 8th International Conference of Maritime Law
- “Arrest and Foreclosure of Vessels in the United States (incl. Bankruptcy),” at Marine Money 2013
Outside the Firm
Bill enjoys running and has completed three marathons.