Lauren Wilgus is a member of our Maritime Emergency Response Team (“MERT”).
Lauren Wilgus concentrates her practice in the areas of international and maritime litigation and alternate dispute resolution. She has more than 20 years’ experience in the shipping industry and counsels clients regarding maritime matters, including:
- General litigation and counseling on behalf of domestic and foreign corporate interests
- International and domestic commercial contract disputes, including arbitrations under AAA, ICC, SMA, and ad hoc arbitration terms
- Marine insurance coverage disputes, including protection and indemnity, general commercial liability, and marine liability
- Charterparty and contract disputes
- COGSA and multi-modal cargo damage claims
- Maritime attachment (Rule B) and vessel arrest (Rule C) actions
- Marine casualty investigations
- Recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitration awards and judgments
- Commercial negotiations and dispute resolutions involving charter party, service contract, and other transportation-related agreements
- Disputes related to delays to construction projects
- Actions involving the U.S. Shipowner’s Limitation of Liability Act
Prior to entering private practice, Lauren worked both as a claims adjuster at a major Japanese shipping company and as a claims executive at a P&I Club.
Lauren has been recognized by Chambers USA every year since 2013 in shipping litigation, and is noted by clients as being a “fantastic operator” who “gets ‘wow’ reviews,” is “thorough and organized,” “quick to grasp the relevant issues and facts,” and a “rising star who is very good technically.”
Outside the Firm
Lauren is the proud mother of two boys and loves spending time at the beach. She’s an avid runner and competed in the NYC Marathon for the first time in 2019.