“They provide thorough answers to any question, whether small or large. In particular, their briefs and all written materials are superior to any other firm I have ever worked with. They are also a pleasure to spend time with."
— Client feedback, Chambers USA
In today’s litigious culture, professionals can easily find themselves facing claims of malpractice, jeopardizing their reputation and ability to serve their clients. Because malpractice claims are essentially two cases in one (the liability claim and causal litigation or transaction), clients need counsel with both significant dispute and transactional experience who can implement a comprehensive strategy addressing both the substantive issues of the primary claim and the underlying intricacies of the cause.
We regularly defend a range of professionals against malpractice, conflicts of interest, breach of fiduciary duty, and fraud claims, including:
- lawyers and law firms
- physician practice groups and individual physicians
- major hospitals and hospital networks
- accountants and financial advisers
- architectural and engineering firms
How We Can Help
We regularly represent clients with respect to legal malpractice, conflict of interest, breach of fiduciary duty and fraud claims. We also represent lawyers in disciplinary proceedings, untangle disputes over partnership compensation, oppose disqualification motions and represent firms facing third-party subpoenas.
Our medical malpractice team has been representing hospital networks, physicians, and medical schools in defending claims of professional negligence for many years. They have developed an expertise and reputation for defending the most complex cases involving all aspects of alleged medical negligence in almost every field of medicine including oncology, obstetrics, orthopedics, neurology, critical care, and surgery. They have also been successful in matters involving emergent care and hospital policy as it applies to medical care and nursing. Blank Rome has also represented a medical school for many years and defended them in litigation involving injuries to students in labs and lawsuits where students are sued erroneously, as well as excess insurance issues.
We have handled proceedings at both the federal and state level, as well as before appellate courts. We also negotiate and mediate settlements for our professional clients. Our attorneys frequently serve as expert witnesses in cases concerning standards of care, breach of fiduciary duty, and the reasonableness of professional fees. We also provide proactive advice to clients in the effort to avoid claims and litigation before they occur.
What Sets Us Apart
- Our litigation team is comprised of nearly 30 former Department of Justice attorneys and five former judges and many of the team members are members of the prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers.
- Law360 named Blank Rome a 2017 “Pennsylvania Powerhouse” and recognized “its prolific national litigation practice and deep bench strength.”
- 2019 U.S. News & World Report-Best Lawyers (Woodward/White Inc.) national ranks:
- Tier 1: Commercial Litigation, Banking and Finance, Bankruptcy, Tax Law, and White Collar Litigation
- Tier 2: Intellectual Property, Patent, Securities, Environmental, and Labor & Employment
- Chambers USA editors state Blank Rome has a:
- “Significant commercial litigation practice, offering sought-after representation across a range of cases including securities, antitrust, environmental, construction and cybersecurity disputes. Further highlighted for its federal appellate work and for its experience in class action defense.”
- Chambers USA editors further remark:
- “The litigation team was excellent. Each of the lawyers brought a very interesting element to the team and they blended together well. They were great and I would highly recommend them!"
- Antitrust Counseling & Litigation
- Appellate Litigation
- Business Litigation
- Class Action Defense
- Privacy Class Action Defense
- Delaware Corporate Litigation
- Mass Torts & Complex Disputes
- Product Liability
- Pharmaceuticals & Medical Devices
- Toxic Torts
- Securities & Shareholder Litigation
- White Collar Defense & Investigations