“Every individual I have met at Blank Rome is impressive. They are strong in all areas. They are my first choice as counsel and will remain so.”
— Client feedback, Chambers USA
No matter your organization’s size, industry, or status, you have to stay current on the ever-changing, complex tax laws while facing the constant pressure of keeping costs down and tax bills under control.
Blank Rome’s tax attorneys work with you to analyze your specific needs and develop a tailored tax strategy that can boost your bottom line.
Our tax attorneys have a proven track record of delivering value to our clients. We do this by making a few simple promises: (1) to understand your business goals and objectives; (2) to use a common-sense and pragmatic approach— whether in crafting a solution to a complex tax issue, presenting an argument to a tribunal, or structuring a fee arrangement; (3) to deliver potential solutions in a cost-effective manner; and (4) to forge a strong long-standing relationship through frequent and open communication.
With decades of tax planning experience, Blank Rome’s tax attorneys have handled a wide variety of sophisticated transactions working alongside M&A and real estate teams on middle-market deals and those into the billions. We can also help you with federal, state, local, international, and cross-border tax implications, as they relate to individuals, closely held companies, and multinational corporations.
How We Can Help
- Corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies, and joint venture arrangements (including exempt organizations/for-profits)
- Taxable and tax-free reorganizations, liquidations, mergers, and acquisitions
- Federal, state, and local civil and criminal tax controversies, including audits, administrative appeals, and litigation
- Executive compensation arrangements, including stock options and other stock-based plans
- Taxation of banks, financial institutions, financial instruments, real estate transactions (including REITs, new market tax credits, real estate funds and joint ventures), private investment funds, mutual funds, trust and estates, tax-exempt and philanthropic organizations
- Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”) tax controversy involving tax-exempt organizations
- Strategic state and local tax-saving opportunities
- Debt workouts
- Tax shelters, estate planning, and charitable giving
- Tax consequences regarding matrimonial matters
- Tax issues related to maritime matters
- International tax matters, including inbound, outbound and passive investments, transfer pricing, tax residency, and establishing foreign entities
- Preparation of legal opinions and requests for letter rulings from the IRS and other government authorities
Should you need representation before the U.S. Congress, Blank Rome’s government relations affiliate brings together legal, policy, lobbying, and strategic communications professionals who can help. It’s our unique combination of corporate, government, financial, and legal experience that allow us to deliver timely, practical, and careful tax advice to you.
What Sets Us Apart
- Chambers USA 2023 ranked Blank Rome for Tax in Pennsylvania and for Tax and Tax: State and Local in New York.
- Members of Blank Rome’s tax group have previously served as CPAs and members of “Big Four” national tax practices.
- Our attorneys also serve as adjunct professors in law schools and graduate tax programs.
- We’re composed of former government officials from the IRS, Department of Justice and the Treasury who have strategic relationships within Congress and who have presented before the Senate Finance and House Ways and Means Committees.
- We frequently represent clients in rule-making proceedings and shape and advance tax policy objectives before the U.S. Treasury Department, including the IRS.
- Benefits & Executive Compensation
- FATCA Compliance
- Foreign Investment in the United States
- Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit
- International Tax
- Low Income Housing Tax Credit
- New Markets Tax Credit
- Renewable Energy Tax Credit
- State + Local Tax
- Tax-Exempt Organizations
- Tax Controversy
- Tax Credit Finance
- Qualified Opportunity Zone Funds