Turning an invention into an asset takes more than a bright idea. It requires protecting that invention with commercially relevant patent claims and making it a part of a robust patent portfolio.
Blank Rome’s patent team provides turnkey global patent prosecution solutions for clients of all sizes—whether it is a start-up company filing its first patent application upon which it will build its fortune or a Fortune 100 multinational with a portfolio of thousands of multidiscipline patents.
Blank Rome invests the time up front understanding our client’s business, analyzing its current position in the marketplace, and anticipating future needs. Our objective is to develop a patent prosecution strategy that is tailored to best fit the needs of our clients, whether it is blocking competitors, cross-licensing others in the marketplace, deriving licensing income, or other business goals.
While we are often hired to serve as a company’s full-service, external IP department, we also collaborate closely with in-house IP teams to manage patent portfolios and help develop in-house policies and procedures that may be used to cultivate a company’s inventions and proprietary “know-how,” turning them into long-term strategic intellectual property assets.
How We Can Help
Blank Rome has a deep bench of 38 patent prosecutors who have the technical, legal, and business acumen to secure patents that are both strong and enforceable.
We draft, file, and prosecute more than 1,600 U.S and foreign patent applications annually. And, with more than 28,000 patents under our active management, we know the ins-and-outs of diverse portfolios, including those with design patents and utility patents in a wide array of technical disciplines, including electrical; chemical; biological; pharmaceutical and biotech; mechanical; materials; software; and business methods.
In order to fully maximize our clients’ investments, our approach is to prepare and prosecute high quality patent applications that describe all embodiments of our clients’ inventions at strategically telescoping levels of detail. Having a rich and fully-realized description of our clients’ inventions in their patent specifications leads to reduced pendency times before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (“USPTO”) and arms our patent attorneys and agents with the details they need to overcome the growing challenges of patent eligible subject matter (35 U.S.C. 101) and enablement (35 U.S.C. 112) rejections at the USPTO. Our team also takes advantage of the USPTO’s innovative programs to further prosecution in an efficient and timely manner, including First Action Interview Program, After Final Consideration Program, and Track One prioritized examination. These tools have proven successful in securing strong patent rights in an efficient manner. By strategically seeking the correct scope of coverage for our clients’ inventions, their patents are also more immune to invalidity challenges after issuance, e.g., via inter partes review (“IPR”) proceedings filed by competitors or opponents in federal district court litigation.
We do not just prosecute patents in the first instance, but handle all forms of post-grant proceedings for our clients as well:
- IPRs to determine patentability of claims in issued patents
- Reissue proceedings to correct errors in the coverage of issued patents
- Reexamination proceedings to reconsider the patentability of issued patents
What Sets Us Apart
- 50 attorneys and patent agents registered to practice before the USPTO, 38 actively prosecuting patents
- Seven former patent examiners
- 13 attorneys and patent agents with doctorate and advanced degrees in the natural, applied, and engineering sciences
- 13 attorneys and patent agents with in-house experience
- Working with disruptive technologies such as blockchain and artificial intelligence, and their applications in areas like supply chains; cryptocurrencies; autonomous transport including automobiles, aircraft, and maritime vessels; and medical devices
- Supported by talented IP professionals and systems to ensure that all applications are filed, prosecuted, and defended in a cost-effective manner
Blank Rome has earned a reputation as one of the top law firms in intellectual property in the United States.
- 2023 U.S. News & World Report—Best Lawyers®(Woodward/White, Inc.) nationally ranks:
- Litigation – Intellectual Property
- Litigation – Patent
- Patent Law
- 2023 Chambers USA: ranked Blank Rome for Intellectual Property in Texas.
- 2023 IAM Patent 1000 (Globe Business Media Group) listed Blank Rome in the D.C. Metro Area as recommended in the litigation and prosecution.
- 2017 IPR Intelligence Report (Patexia) ranked Blank Rome as a Top 50 firm for Inter Partes Reviews
- 2017 Managing IP – IP Stars (Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC) lists Blank Rome as a Recommended Intellectual Property Firm – Pennsylvania.