“…offers experience across labor law matters such as contract negotiation and unfair labor practice disputes.”
Despite the decline of unions in the United States, labor relations remain critical for owners and management. Constructive labor relations provide you with a competitive advantage by avoiding the negative impact of labor- or union-related issues and conflicts. When there are clashes or disagreements between management and labor, we also have the advocates to protect the employer’s interests.
Blank Rome has successfully guided hundreds of employers through labor and organizing issues. We counsel across a wide range of industries on preventative employment law strategies and the development of positive employment relations policies.
How We Can Help
- Developing and implementing employment policies and practices that minimize the likelihood of employees seeking third-party representation
- Advising during union organizing efforts and representation before the National Labor Relations Board ("NLRB") and state labor boards when confronted with organizing issues
- Developing labor relations strategies when the client wants to use its own personnel as the lead advocate or bargaining spokesperson
- Collective bargaining and acting as chief spokesperson
- Selecting arbitrators
- Defending the company in unfair labor practice proceedings before the NLRB and state labor boards
- Counseling on injunction matters involving labor disputes, enjoining mass picketing, and preparing for work stoppages
- Administering collective bargaining agreements and representation in arbitration hearings involving contract interpretation, employee discharge, and/or suspension cases
What Sets Us Apart
- We have negotiated contracts covering as few as two workers and those covering more than 10,000. In many cases these collective bargaining agreements include complex health and welfare and benefit issues and we call upon our employee benefit attorneys for assistance in this area.
- Ranked Tier 1 in 2023 U.S. News & World Report–Best Lawyers® (Woodward/White, Inc.) nationally and Philadelphia for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law and Labor Law - Management. Also ranked nationally for Employment Law – Management, and regionally for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, Employment Law – Management, and Litigation – Labor & Employment.
- Chambers USA 2023 ranked Blank Rome for labor and employment in Pennsylvania. Editors write that Blank Rome’s Labor & Employment practice:
- “Maintains a strong profile for its handling of complex trade secrets and restrictive covenant disputes. The team also offers experience across labor law matters such as contract negotiation and unfair labor practice disputes.”
- “‘They are on top of recent trends and provide thoughtful advice and recommendations.’”
- “‘The litigators at Blank Rome really know the law. Their preparation, advocacy and priority on attempting an amicable resolution if at all possible is impressive.’”
- We invest in long-term relationships and create client service teams to ensure effective and efficient delivery of legal services.
- We have vast experience with many of the specialized labor arbitrators who routinely appear on lists from the American Arbitration Association ("AAA"), the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service ("FMCS") and JAMS.
- We place an emphasis on preventive measures to preempt problems before they arise.
- We provide value-added services to our clients, including in-house training programs, CLE programs, legal briefings, and newsletters.
- Our lawyers view themselves as your business partners and work to understand your operational needs so that we can negotiate effectively on your behalf.