Businesses of any size and in any location in the United States are challenged by the ever-shifting tax landscape and the constant pressures of keeping tax costs in line. For multistate businesses navigating state and local tax requirements across the country, the challenges are even greater and it is critical to be prepared in every jurisdiction.
Blank Rome’s prominent state + local tax (“SALT”) team includes attorneys who pioneered the nationwide practice of SALT with experience handling cases in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia. From both national and state-specific perspectives, we can help steer you through the complexity of state and local tax issues and proactively manage and control your state and local tax burdens. Our SALT team takes into account the similarities, differences, and unique aspects of each jurisdiction’s tax laws and systems.
How We Can Help
Our SALT team regularly litigates state + local tax matters and efficiently counsels clients on state and local tax law planning throughout the country with a broad base of experience that includes matters involving:
- Corporate franchise and income taxes
- Sales and use taxes
- Personal income taxes
- Real and personal property taxes
- Local business license taxes
- Gross receipts taxes
- Transfer taxes
- Severance taxes
- Hotel occupancy taxes
- Energy/utility taxes
- Motor fuels taxes
- Unclaimed property obligations
We also regularly advise clients on the state and local tax implications of complex corporate transactions and reorganizations, including multistate acquisitions, dispositions, restructurings, and asset-based financing transactions.
The SALT team serves a broad range of industries, including:
- Computer technology
- Consumer finance
- Financial services
- Food and beverage
- Industrial manufacturing
What Sets Us Apart
- Our attorneys have been involved in many of the most ground-breaking SALT cases decided over the last 30 years.
- Members of our SALT team have received industry-wide recognitions, including the 2017 NYU School of Professional Studies’ Paul H. Frankel Award for Outstanding Achievement in State and Local Taxation.
- Our attorneys also serve on advisory boards of various professional organizations, publications, and centers, and as adjunct professors in law schools and graduate tax programs, including:
- Georgetown Law Center
- Hartman State and Local Tax Forum at Vanderbilt University Law School
- NYU Institute on State and Local Tax
- National Multistate Tax Symposium
- Journal of State Taxation
- Bloomberg BNA State Tax
- State Tax Notes
- Law360 Tax Authority
- The SALT group includes former federal, state, and local government officials who have strategic relationships with lawmakers.