In a global economy, it’s unfortunate but not uncommon for businesses to be faced with cross-border insolvencies that result in filing Chapter 15 in the United States. When that happens cooperation between the courts of the countries involved is critical to protecting creditor’s interests and can be a challenge due to the variety of local insolvency laws.
Our bankruptcy and restructuring attorneys have experience working across multiple jurisdictions for foreign representatives and creditors in Chapter 15 cases. We recognize the diversity of the commercial cultures and laws that may affect our clients’ interests. Our focus is on providing our clients with creative solutions that best serve their cross border needs. We’re able to work with foreign jurisdictions and resolve issues in competing proceedings that might arise. Importantly, we understand when to “recognize” a foreign insolvency, rehabilitation, or reorganization proceeding and to protect that proceeding in the United States. Should a foreign representative file a Chapter 7 or Chapter 11 case for a foreign debtor after Chapter 15 has recognized, we’re able to guide our clients through that process as well.
We have particular strength across sectors such as maritime, retail, finance, and energy, and draw upon the disciplines of our attorneys in the areas of finance, international tax, litigation, shipping, and financial services to bring comprehensive resources to our clients.
What We Do
- Credit management
- Intercreditor concerns
- Collateral support
- Restructuring transactions
- Asset recovery litigation
- Dispute resolution
- Bridge financing
- Debt-for-equity swaps
- Drafting insolvency proposals
- Rehabilitation planning
What Sets Us Apart
- Chambers USA noted we have a “stellar bankruptcy and restructuring team handling the full range of issues including Chapter 11 and Chapter 15 matters, as well as related bankruptcy litigation. Maintains a specialty practice advising maritime and transportation clients, and possesses significant knowledge of complex financing transactions.”
- 2022 Chambers USA recognized the firm’s Bankruptcy/Restructuring practice as Highly Regarded Nationwide, ranked us Band 1 in New York and Philadelphia (PA) & Surrounds, and recognized in Delaware.
- Our bankruptcy practice ranked at the top of The American Lawyer’s Corporate Scoreboard.
- Four of the team’s attorneys are fellows of the prestigious American College of Bankruptcy. One partner served as Third Circuit regent of the American College of Bankruptcy and another partner served as chairman of the American College of Bankruptcy Foundation and is a past chair of the American College of Bankruptcy.
- Many members of the group write and lecture extensively on issues involving corporate restructuring and bankruptcy.