Evan concentrates his practice on corporate reorganizations and related complex litigation in national and cross-border matters. He frequently represents foreign representatives in Chapter 15 proceedings, creditors’ committees, secured creditors, indenture trustees, executory contract parties, and other key parties in interest. He routinely publishes and speaks on bankruptcy topics, including the model laws promulgated by UNCITRAL’s Working Group V as well as the causes of retail insolvencies around the world.
Evan Jason Zucker
Evan Jason Zucker
- In re BCBG Max Azria Global Holdings LLC (S.D.N.Y.) Representation of a trade creditor and trademark licensee in connection with a manufacturing and distribution license agreement of women’s apparel.
- In re Aeropostale Inc. (S.D.N.Y.) Counsel to trade creditor and member of creditors’ committee in the bankruptcy case of teen apparel chain.
- In re Sears Holdings Corporation, et al. (S.D.N.Y.) Counsel to South Korean clothing manufacturer.
- In re Sergey Petrovich Poymanov (S.D.N.Y.) Counsel to Receiver and Foreign Representative of Sergey Poymanov, the former controlling shareholder of Pavlovskgranit, in connection with a Chapter 15 case ancillary to Mr. Poymanov’s Russian insolvency proceeding and litigation of “reiderstvo” claims.
- In re Foreign Economic Industrial Bank Limited, “Vneshprombank” Ltd. (S.D.N.Y.) Counsel to Foreign Representative and Trustee of Vneshprombank in connection with a Chapter 15 case ancillary to a Russian Insolvency Proceeding.
- In re Kaiser Gypsum Company, Inc., at al. (W.D.N.C.) Representation of the creditors’ committee of gypsum manufacturer in channeling 14,000 asbestos related actions to a 524(g) trust and resolving in excess of $300 million in environmental liability.
- In re WYNIT Distribution, LLC, et al. (Bankr. D. MN) Representation of a consignor to a wholesale distributor of technology products.
- In re Motors Liquidation Company f/k/a General Motors Corp. (S.D.N.Y.) Representation of the GUC Trust (created pursuant to the Chapter 11 plan confirmed), in litigation against a number of hedge funds, seeking equitable subordination, disallowance of claims and other relief.
- In re Motors Liquidation Company f/k/a General Motors Corp. (S.D.N.Y.) Representation of the Avoidance Action Trust (created pursuant to the Chapter 11 plan confirmed), in the prosecution of a $1.5 billion avoidance action against lenders to a term loan.
- In re RDA Holdings (S.D.N.Y.) Representation of Direct Entertainment Media Group, Inc. (DEMG) as co-counsel in jointly administered Chapter 11 cases filed by RDA Holding Co., The Reader’s Digest Association, Inc., DEMG, and other affiliated debtors and debtors in possession.
- In re TLO, LLC (S.D. Fla.) Represented significant equity holders in connection with the successful recharacterization of approximately $30 million of debt as equity.
- In re Corporate Resource Services, Inc. (D. Del. & S.D.N.Y.) Represented an ad-hoc committee of unsecured creditors.
- In re Loehmann’s Holdings, Inc., et al. (S.D.N.Y.) Represented Law Debenture Trust Company of New York as the administrative agent and collateral agent under the second and third lien credit facilities.
- In re Noble Logistics, Inc. (Bankr. D. Del.) Counsel to debtor-in-possession lender and asset purchaser of certain of the debtor’s assets through a section 363 sale.
News & Views
Bankruptcy Court Authorizes Service of Subpoena on U.S. Nationals Through Social Media While Prohibiting the Issuance of Subpoena on Foreign Nationals AbroadPratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law
U.S. Court Authorizes Service of Subpoena on U.S. Nationals through Social Media While Prohibiting the Issuance of a Subpoena on Foreign Nationals AbroadMAINBRACE: March 2023
MAINBRACE: March 2023
Thomas H. Belknap Jr., William R. Bennett III, Joan M. Bondareff, Kierstan L. Carlson, Vanessa C. DiDomenico, Jeanne M. Grasso
Chapter 15 Update/Recognition IssuesABI Caribbean Insolvency Symposium
Evan J. Zucker Joins the INSOL Talks PodcastINSOL Talks
Insolvency Practitioners’ Experience with the MLCBIConference on the 25th Anniversary of the UNCITRAL Model Law on Cross-Border Insolvency
Is It a Modern Approach? A Discussion of Recognition Issues and Recent Developments Regarding the United States, Cayman Islands, and Hong Kong2022 Cross-Border Insolvency Program
Evan J. Zucker Recognized in INSOL International's Young Practitioner SpotlightINSOL World
Evan J. Zucker Elected as Member of the International Insolvency Institute
Must Foreign Debtors Have U.S. Property to be Eligible for Relief Under Chapter 15?Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law
- 2022, Young Practitioner Spotlight, listed in INSOL World
- 2022, 40 Under 40 Award, by Global Restructuring Review
- 2019, 40 Under 40 Award, by the American Bankruptcy Institute
- 2014–2018, New York Metro “Rising Star” in Bankruptcy, listed in Super Lawyers
In 2021, Evan was selected by the Chief Judge for the Bankruptcy Court as Vice Chair of the Chapter 11 Lawyers’ Advisory Committee for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of New York. He is an Adjunct Professor at St. John’s University School of Law and a member of its Alumni Association. Additionally, Evan is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and its Law Review Alumni Association.
In 2022, Evan was invited to join the membership of the International Insolvency Institute (“III”). The III is a limited, invitation-only, global membership of leading professionals, scholars, and judges with proficiency in international insolvency law. He was selected in 2021 to serve as the Chairperson for the III’s NextGen Leadership Program (NextGen Class VII) program, after being inducted into the program in 2018 and serving on the Executive Committee in 2020.
In 2019, he was selected to the American Bankruptcy Institute's 40 Under 40 Program. Evan routinely publishes and speaks on bankruptcy topics, including the causes of retail insolvencies around the world.
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court - New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court - Southern District of New York
- Emory University, BBA
- St. John's University School of Law, JD, cum laude