Evan concentrates his practice on corporate reorganizations and related complex litigation in national and cross-border matters. He frequently represents foreign representatives in Chapter 15 proceedings, creditors’ committees, secured creditors, indenture trustees, executory contract parties, and other key parties in interest. He routinely publishes and speaks on bankruptcy topics, including the model laws promulgated by UNCITRAL’s Working Group V as well as the causes of retail insolvencies around the world.
- In re BCBG Max Azria Global Holdings LLC (S.D.N.Y.) Representation of a trade creditor and trademark licensee in connection with a manufacturing and distribution license agreement of women’s apparel.
- In re Aeropostale Inc. (S.D.N.Y.) Counsel to trade creditor and member of creditors’ committee in the bankruptcy case of teen apparel chain.
- In re Sears Holdings Corporation, et al. (S.D.N.Y.) Counsel to South Korean clothing manufacturer.
- In re Sergey Petrovich Poymanov (S.D.N.Y.) Counsel to Receiver and Foreign Representative of Sergey Poymanov, the former controlling shareholder of Pavlovskgranit, in connection with a Chapter 15 case ancillary to Mr. Poymanov’s Russian insolvency proceeding and litigation of “reiderstvo” claims.
- In re Foreign Economic Industrial Bank Limited, “Vneshprombank” Ltd. (S.D.N.Y.) Counsel to Foreign Representative and Trustee of Vneshprombank in connection with a Chapter 15 case ancillary to a Russian Insolvency Proceeding.
- In re Kaiser Gypsum Company, Inc., at al. (W.D.N.C.) Representation of the creditors’ committee of gypsum manufacturer in channeling 14,000 asbestos related actions to a 524(g) trust and resolving in excess of $300 million in environmental liability.
- In re WYNIT Distribution, LLC, et al. (Bankr. D. MN) Representation of a consignor to a wholesale distributor of technology products.
- In re Motors Liquidation Company f/k/a General Motors Corp. (S.D.N.Y.) Representation of the GUC Trust (created pursuant to the Chapter 11 plan confirmed), in litigation against a number of hedge funds, seeking equitable subordination, disallowance of claims and other relief.
- In re Motors Liquidation Company f/k/a General Motors Corp. (S.D.N.Y.) Representation of the Avoidance Action Trust (created pursuant to the Chapter 11 plan confirmed), in the prosecution of a $1.5 billion avoidance action against lenders to a term loan.
- In re RDA Holdings (S.D.N.Y.) Representation of Direct Entertainment Media Group, Inc. (DEMG) as co-counsel in jointly administered Chapter 11 cases filed by RDA Holding Co., The Reader’s Digest Association, Inc., DEMG, and other affiliated debtors and debtors in possession.
- In re TLO, LLC (S.D. Fla.) Represented significant equity holders in connection with the successful recharacterization of approximately $30 million of debt as equity.
- In re Corporate Resource Services, Inc. (D. Del. & S.D.N.Y.) Represented an ad-hoc committee of unsecured creditors.
- In re Loehmann’s Holdings, Inc., et al. (S.D.N.Y.) Represented Law Debenture Trust Company of New York as the administrative agent and collateral agent under the second and third lien credit facilities.
- In re Noble Logistics, Inc. (Bankr. D. Del.) Counsel to debtor-in-possession lender and asset purchaser of certain of the debtor’s assets through a section 363 sale.
Protecting the Supply Chain: U.S. Government Studies the Role of Federal Agencies in Ocean Carrier BankruptciesPratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law
Protecting the Supply Chain: U.S. Government Studies the Role of Federal Agencies in Ocean Carrier BankruptciesMAINBRACE: Special Offshore Wind Edition
ArticlePratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law
- 2019, 40 Under 40 Award, by the American Bankruptcy Institute
- 2014–2018, New York Metro “Rising Star” in Bankruptcy, listed in Super Lawyers
Evan is a member of the Chapter 11 Lawyers’ Advisory Committee for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of New York. He is an Adjunct Professor at St. John’s University School of Law and a member of its Alumni Association. Additionally, Evan is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and its Law Review Alumni Association.
In 2018, Evan was inducted into the International Insolvency Institute’s NextGen Leadership Program (NextGen Class VII) and in 2020 he was elected to the Executive Committee for the program
in 2019, he was selected to the American Bankruptcy Institute's 40 Under 40 Program. Evan routinely publishes and speaks on bankruptcy topics, including the causes of retail insolvencies around the world.
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court - New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court - Southern District of New York
- Emory University, BBA
- St. John's University School of Law, JD, cum laude