Family and personal matters require the same keen attention as business matters. When life throws you big curve balls—both the good and the bad—they can become all-consuming. These can be emotionally charged times, particularly when children are involved. Such circumstances require counsel that listens, is compassionate, and aligns with the distinct heartbeat of your case so that you can move forward with your life.
Whether you’re an individual or a couple, Blank Rome’s highly regarded matrimonial and family law attorneys can help in all legal aspects of marriage, including negotiating and drafting prenuptial, postnuptial and separation agreements, negotiating and, if need be, litigating the issues of spousal and child support, equitable distribution, custody access agreements and divorce proceedings. In each case, our goal is to achieve the best, most expeditious result for you through negotiations and, when necessary, in court. We’re equally able to guide you through the mediation process.
Because our matrimonial and family law group is among the largest in the nation, we can handle your issues on either coast. We’re known for negotiating complex, challenging financial and custody cases avoiding the “scorched-earth approach,” while maintaining decorum in what may sometimes become “uncivil proceedings.” Our client roster includes many high-profile individuals and their spouses from the worlds of business, technology, the media, and entertainment, which is why the hallmarks of our practice are confidentiality and the deep experience we bring to each client’s case.
How We Can Help
- Prenuptial, postnuptial, and separation agreements
- Divorce proceedings, including high-net-worth, high-profile/celebrity and high-conflict matters
- Child support and spousal maintenance
- Custody and access rights
- Valuation and distribution of property
- Domestic partnerships
- Domestic violence and restraining orders
- Multistate and international issues
- Appeals and enforcement proceedings
- Mediation and collaborative divorce (CA)
We regularly work with investigators, business appraisers, and forensic accountants on complex valuation issues to ensure you receive proper distribution of property through the dissolution process.
You’ll also benefit from access to our colleagues in tax, corporate, real estate, trusts and estates, and other fiduciary areas to help evaluate and advise on your financial settlement.
What Sets Us Apart
- Our matrimonial and family law practice is nationally recognized for its leading talent and capabilities on both the East and West Coasts, and boasts attorneys with extensive experience in California, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and Florida.
- Our attorneys have been recognized for their commitment to the community through pro bono work and a significant victory in Brooke S.B. v. Elizabeth C.C., which overturned a 25-year precedent that non-biological, non-married, non-adoptive parents can seek custody and visitation of children born into their relationships with the child’s biological parent.
- Four attorneys are fellows of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
- One attorney was elected chair of the American Bar Association’s Section of Family Law.
- Our matrimonial and family law group is recognized for our practice and capabilities in prominent national and regional publications, including U.S. News & World Report–Best Lawyers® (Woodward/White, Inc.):
- 2016–2022: Tier 1 ranking for Family Law in New York
- 2021–2022: Tier 1 ranking for Los Angeles
- As leaders and active members of state and local bar associations, we teach, lecture, and publish in the field of matrimonial and family law and are frequently called upon for comment by the television, press and online media.
- A partner served as co-author of and provided testimony for Senate Bill 924 (now California Civil Procedure Section 340.15) which extends the statute of limitations for domestic violence claims.