Mortgage Bankers Association Legal Issues and Regulatory Compliance Conference 2023
Hyatt Regency Austin
208 Barton Springs Rd
Blank Rome partners Wayne Streibich, R. Andrew Arculin, Diana M. Eng, and R. Colgate Selden will speak on panels at the Mortgage Bankers Association (“MBA”) Legal Issues and Regulatory Compliance Conference, being held May 7 through 10, 2023, in Austin, Texas.
Monday, May 8, 2023
GENERAL SESSION: A Discussion of Legal Issues with Industry Regulators
Government regulators and enforcers will discuss recent activity and future priorities.
- Moderator: Mallory J. Garner, Senior Managing Director and General Counsel, PennyMac Financial Services, Inc.
- Moderator: Wayne Streibich, Chair, Financial Institutions Litigation and Regulatory Compliance (“FILARC”) Group, Blank Rome LLP
- Varda Hussain, Special Litigation Counsel, Fair Lending, U.S. Department of Justice
- Mark McArdle, Assistant Director of Mortgage Markets, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (“CFPB”)
- Nate Shultz. Chief of Staff, Office of Housing and Federal Housing Administration, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
APPLIED COMPLIANCE: Managing to the Loan Originator Compensation Rule in a Purchase Market
With heightened competition by lenders to attract and retain productive loan originator talent, compliance with the Loan Originator Compensation (“LO Comp”) rule continues to be a hot topic. Panelists will use various hypothetical compensation plans and scenarios to illustrate what is, and is not, permissible under the LO Comp rule.
- Moderator: Laura LaRaia, Chief Legal Officer and Enterprise Risk Officer, MLD Mortgage Inc. d/b/a The Money Store
- Richard J. Andreano, Jr., Esq., CMCP, Partner, Ballard Spahr LLP
- Andy Arculin, Partner, Blank Rome LLP
- Jed Mayk, Partner, Hudson Cook, LLP
KEY UPDATES: Key Servicing Updates—Top Challenges Facing Servicers
Mortgage servicers face significant risk in today’s market and regulatory environment. Panelists will discuss the challenges servicers face and recommendations to mitigate that risk. Discussion topics will include UDAAP/Fair Servicing, New York’s Foreclosure Abuse Prevention Act (“FAPA”), assumptions, and expected changes to loss mitigation waterfalls.
- Moderator: Samuel I. Racoosin, Managing Director and Associate General Counsel, Chase
- Chava Brandriss, Partner, Davis Wright Tremaine, LLP
- Diana Eng, Partner, Blank Rome LLP
- Nanci L. Weissgold, Co-Chair, Financial Services & Products Group and Co-Leader, Consumer Financial Services Team, Alston & Bird, LLP
APPLIED COMPLIANCE: TRID
Determining what complies with TILA-RESPA Integrated Disclosures (“TRID”) requires a detailed understanding and knowledge of the practical considerations involved with any real estate transaction. Panelists will discuss real world examples that highlight the requirements and demonstrate a decision-making framework to ensure compliance.
- Moderator: Suzanne Garwood, Executive Director and Associate General Counsel, Chas
- Jennifer Dozier, Partner, Franzen and Salzano, PC
- Colgate Selden, Partner, Blank Rome LLP
ABOUT THE CONFERENCE
Blank Rome is pleased to be a Platinum sponsor of this conference, which will include more than 30 sessions featuring legal and compliance professionals from across the real estate finance industry presenting comprehensive and up-to-date information on regulatory initiatives, litigation and legislation, and enforcement activity impacting the industry.
For more information and to register, please visit the conference webpage.