Fine-tuning the Affordable Care Act in the Second Decade: Actuarial Strategy and Tactics
Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
1201 Market St
Blank Rome partner Barak A. Bassman will serve as a panelist at the Society of Actuaries 2022 SOA Health Meeting, being held June 12 through 15, 2022, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (with a Digital Pass option).
Barak’s session, “Fine-tuning the Affordable Care Act in the Second Decade: Actuarial Strategy and Tactics,” will take place on Monday, June 13, from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
The rules governing the framework of Affordable Care Act (“ACA”) marketplaces continue to be refined at the state and federal level. The catalyst for such changes has been a desire to improve markets, which has been primarily informed by data and experience in the ACA’s first decade. This session will feature a panel of consulting actuaries, a state policy adviser who has influenced ACA legislation, and an attorney deeply involved in ACA risk adjustment litigation. Discussion will include new federal proposals, efforts to strengthen enforcement of rating compliance, new actuarial insights from public data, and the anticipated future implications for ACA markets. Topics include:
- What precipitated risk adjustment lawsuits and how proposed federal rules address these concerns
- How state regulators are addressing premium misalignment between metal levels and shaping local policies
- Developing new insights on publicly available data
- The implications these policy changes will have on the future of pricing health insurance benefits, consumer value, and enrollment distributions in ACA marketplaces
- Primary factors leading to ACA market success
For more information and to register, please visit the event webpage.