Biometric Privacy and Healthcare
Pennsylvania Convention Center
1101 Arch St
Blank Rome partner Jeffrey N. Rosenthal will serve as a speaker at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s (“PBI”) Health Law Institute 2023, being held March 14 and 15, 2023, at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Highlights of PBI Health Law Institute 2023 include keynote addresses by Dr. Nina Kottler (Radiology Partners, El Segundo, California) who will provide an overview of AI’s role in healthcare through the lens of radiology and Professor David Hoffman and Jim Sheehan discussing healthcare private equity deals, and the increasing responsibilities of health law professionals.
Jeff’s session, “Biometric Privacy and Healthcare,” will take place on Tuesday, March 14, from 2:25 to 3:25 p.m.
ABOUT THE SESSION
Biometric technology allows for the identification of an individual based on their unique physical characteristics (i.e., fingerprint, face, voice, etc.). This presentation will address the current legal landscape surrounding biometric privacy, legal pitfalls, and pending legislation (including in Pennsylvania). It will also address how the healthcare industry has applied biometric technology across a wide range of services in hospital settings, out-patient care, and virtual medicine for, among other things, patient identification, medical record access, and pharmaceutical authorizations.
Other sessions include:
- Health Law Year in Review
- False Claims Act Update
- Health Care Antitrust Update: The Year in Review
- Department of Health—Legal Developments and Updates
- Quality Fraud: What’s That?
- No More Surprise Medical Bills…For the Most Part: Provider Considerations for the No Surprises Act in 2023 and Beyond
- Private Equity Deals: Risks and Rewards for Physicians
- Advising the Organization (Ethics)
- 2022 Privacy and Cybersecurity Litigation, Legislative and Enforcement Overview
- Expanding Protections in Coverage, Costs, and Claims: A Regulator’s Perspective
- Virtual Isolation: Is Hyperconnectivity Helping or Harming the Legal Profession?
- Lessons Learned from HIPAA Enforcement
- Protecting the Reputation of Licensed Professionals
- Health Professional and Health Care Facility Licensure in PA
- Employment Challenges in the Post-Pandemic Age of Substance Abuse
- Use and Disclosure of Patient Behavioral Health Information after Pennsylvania Acts 32 and 33 of 2022
- The ONC Information Blocking Rule: A Primer and Operationalizing Compliance
- Medical Staff Issues
- Complaints about the Quality of Care in Your Hospital by Members of the Medical Staff: Is It a Matter of “Free Speech”?
- A 2022–23 Tax Update for Healthcare Lawyers
- Health Care Price Transparency Made Plain
- Third-Party Payments
- APP/NPP Evolution: Positives and Negatives for Physician Practices
- Hot Reimbursement Issues: How to Get Paid for the Services You Have Provided
- Medicare/Medicaid Fraud and Abuse
- Ethical Considerations with the Dobbs Decision
- Telehealth and Benefits for Underserved Populations: Mirage or Oasis?
- Research Year in Review
- HIPAA Privacy and Security
For more information and to register, please visit the event webpage.