In 2006, as part of the firm’s steadfast commitment to the advancement of diverse professionals within the legal community at large, we established the Blank Rome Diversity Scholars Program ("Blank Rome Scholars" or "BR Scholars" Program). Our goal is to identify and attract high-performing summer associate candidates from diverse backgrounds who are passionate about and invested in promoting and fostering diversity and inclusion in the legal profession and in the community, to ultimately join our firm upon completion of law school.
Blank Rome has two diversity scholarship programs: Our 1L Blank Rome Scholars Program and our 2L Blank Rome Scholars Program.
Diversity scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic achievement, demonstrated leadership, community service, work experience, and commitment to the practice of law. Each Blank Rome Scholar is awarded a full-salaried position in the firm’s Summer Associate Program and a $25,000 scholarship, which will be paid in two installments: 1) $12,500 for the Scholar’s second-year tuition and expenses, provided the student receives and accepts an offer to join the Summer Program on a full-time basis for the summer following the 2L year; and 2) another $12,500 toward the Scholar’s third-year tuition and expenses, provided the student receives and accepts an offer to return to Blank Rome as a full-time Associate after graduation.
Our Blank Rome Scholars will also have the opportunity, through specialized mentoring, coaching, and training, to help shape Blank Rome's long-term diversity and inclusion and efforts. During the Summer Associate Program, each Scholar will be teamed up with a Blank Rome partner and an associate, who serve as mentors for the duration of the program and beyond.Selection Criteria
Any 1L students (and 2L evening students) who meet the following requirements may apply to the BR Scholars Program in the Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, or Washington, D.C., office:
- Belong to one or more historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, self-identify as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, and/or have demonstrated a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion in their communities;
- Possess excellent academic and personal achievements; and
- Express commitment and passion in advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the legal industry.
You will need to provide the following documents in your application (please submit all documents as PDFs):
- Current Resume
- Copy of your complete undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) school transcripts
- Copy of your law school transcript that includes Fall 2022 grades (If your final Fall 2022 transcript is unavailable at the time of application, please only upload your undergraduate transcript. Once you submit your application, you will be e-mailed a link to access and update your application with your complete law school transcript.)
- Two-page essay, answering the following: Please share with us how your personal experience and skills can best position you to foster diversity, equity, and inclusion (“DEI”) in the legal profession, the community, and at Blank Rome.