Jeffrey N. Rosenthal
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5553||f. +1.215.832.5553|
Jeffrey Rosenthal provides legal counsel to clients on a wide range of business issues, while concentrating his practice in the area of complex corporate and commercial litigation in the following areas:
- business torts
- software and technology
- intellectual property (trade secret / trademark / copyright)
- civil Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act
- securities / shareholder actions
- financial industry arbitration
- professional liability
Mr. Rosenthal regularly writes the Cyberlaw column for The Legal Intelligencer, wherein he discusses the intersecting areas of law and computing with an emphasis on the impact of new technologies, online privacy, software, intellectual property, and social networking sites on corporations, businesses and individuals. He also contributes to Blank Rome’s Cybersecurity Law Watch blog, which focuses on data security and privacy law issues, as well as how to manage and navigate cybersercurity risks.
Mr. Rosenthal is a frequent lecturer on issues relating to attorney ethics. His recent speaking engagements include serving as a panelist discussing ethical issues in attorney use of social media for a national webcast, and presenting his white paper, “Three Things Every Lawyer Should Know About Social Media Ethics” at the Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute’s Annual Seminar in New Orleans, LA. He has also lectured on the topic of alternative dispute resolution at Villanova Law School.
In 2014, Mr. Rosenthal was selected by a panel of judges as one of The Legal Intelligencer’s “Lawyers on the Fast Track,” a recognition given to only 36 lawyers throughout Pennsylvania under the age of 40 who have influenced the legal industry through their development of the law, commitment to the community, and service to the bar.
While in law school, Mr. Rosenthal served as Executive Editor of the Syracuse Law Review and was a director of the Moot Court Honor Society. He also served as a law clerk to the Honorable John P. Dean, Principal Administrative Law Judge for the Office of Administrative Hearings in Washington D.C.
Mr. Rosenthal completed his undergraduate studies at The Pennsylvania State University where he earned a BS in Business Management, Smeal College of Business, and a BS in Psychology.
- Represented directors and officers of a regional bank against RICO claims asserted by former shareholders related to a 2008 merger; obtained dismissal at district court level and had decision affirmed by the Third Circuit.
- Represented national provider of tax resolution services in class action asserting violations of state and federal consumer protection laws; successfully vacated and remanded district court order denying motion to compel arbitration under the Federal Arbitration Act before the Third Circuit.
- Won a six-figure FINRA arbitration award in which a broker was found liable for breach of fiduciary duty in failing to follow client’s instructions.
- Obtained a permanent injunction in federal court that forced a software developer to return confidential business processes.
- Represented specialty pharmaceutical company in response to FDA product recall involving homeopathic oral supplements as well as subsequent intellectual property dispute regarding same.
- Represented publicly traded defense contractor in connection with contract, fraud and intellectual property claims against competitor.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Rosenthal handles a number of pro bono cases each year on behalf of indigent clients. He was recognized by Blank Rome with its Pro Bono Hero award in 2011, and has been named to the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania’s Pro Bono Roll of Honor in every year since 2008. In addition, Mr. Rosenthal regularly volunteers with the United Way of Southeastern Pennsylvania, and is an active member of the Golden Slipper Club & Charities, a group that promotes a spirit of fraternalism and good fellowship through numerous charitable initiatives.
Mr. Rosenthal was elected Financial Secretary to the Executive Committee of the Young Lawyers Division of the Philadelphia Bar Association (YLD) for 2012-2013. In this role, he chaired the YLD’s annual fundraiser which raised over $19,000 for the Philadelphia Bar Foundation. He also organized a city-wide legal clinic which provided living will and other end-of-life documentation to people in the community.
In the Spring of 2011, Mr. Rosenthal was selected by the Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia to participate in its pilot Israel 360 program, which included a trip to Israel with 37 other young professionals from Philadelphia. The trip incorporated community service and the political, religious and societal aspects of Israeli culture. Mr. Rosenthal has also completed the Jewish Federation’s Leadership Development Program, and currently serves as a mentor to existing program participants.