Blank Rome’s private equity practice represents leading private equity funds and their portfolio companies, banking and financial institutions, and privately held businesses in structuring and implementing all types of sophisticated acquisition and financing transactions. Our attorneys use an integrated approach and draw upon the skills of attorneys with experience in ERISA, securities, tax, real estate, intellectual property, international trade, and environmental law to provide seamless service to our private equity clients and their portfolio companies. Our team focuses in particular on tax-advantaged structuring for both buyers and sellers in private equity transactions.
Relationships in Private Equity
Blank Rome has a long history of working with private equity firms, as well as with venture firms. With backgrounds in business and accounting, and experience at regulatory agencies such as the SEC, our attorneys provide a practical, business-minded approach to solving complex legal issues. We adopt a proactive approach to help our clients structure and implement all types of sophisticated acquisition transactions. As a result of our strong relationships with financing sources, and investment banks, we have the ability to make introductions and facilitate business relationships for our investor and private equity clients.
Select Blank Rome Private Equity Representations
- J.F. Lehman & Company, a middle-market private equity firm focused on the defense, aerospace and maritime sectors, in a number of transactions, including:
- The $325 million sale of one of its portfolio companies, Atlantic Marine Holding Company, a leading provider of vessel maintenance, repair, overhaul and conversion services to government and commercial customers, to BAE Systems. We previously represented the company in the acquisition of Atlantic Marine.
- The $120 million acquisition of Drew Marine, a recognized global leader in providing technical solutions, high-value products and services to the global marine industry.
- The acquisition of US Joiner LLC and Turnbull LLC, an independent domestic provider of turnkey joiner and furniture solutions for the U.S. government and commercial customers.
- Liberty Partners, LP in a number of transactions, including:
- The acquisition of Edison Schools in a going-private transaction.
- The sale of Fortress Technologies to General Dynamics.
- The sale of NetQoS to Computer Associates.
- Cortec Group, a private equity firm that makes investments in middle market manufacturing, distribution and service companies, in a number of transactions, including:
- The acquisition of a majority stake in 180 Medical, Inc., an Oklahoma City-based distributor of medical supplies.
- The acquisition of South Shore Medical Supply, Inc., by its portfolio company, 180 Medical, Inc.
- LLR Equity Partners, a private equity firm that provides capital to middle market growth companies with proven business models in a broad range of industries, in its joint acquisition, with Pouschine Cook Capital Partners, of Strategic Distribution, Inc., a provider of supply chain management solutions, from Platinum Equity.
- Susquehanna Growth Equity as lead investor in a $16 million preferred stock investment in PaySimple, Inc., a leading provider of accounts receivable automation solutions for small businesses.
- L2 Capital, a lower middle market private equity firm that specializes in making equity investments in manufacturing, distribution and service companies, in its acquisition of Landfill Services Corp., an Apalachin, New York-based company that makes spray-on covers for landfills (the company has since been renamed LSC Environmental Products).
- Merion Investment Partners, a mezzanine capital fund, in several transactions, including:
- The sale of its equity interests in (and a related repayment of its Senior Subordinated Note from) Cargo Airport Services U.S.A. LLC, a Delaware limited liability company.
- A private placement purchase of senior subordinated notes from and a Warrant for Membership Interests in Shades of Light, LLC, a Virginia limited liability company that designs, assembles and sells indoor and outdoor lighting, accent rugs, and home décor through catalogue, Internet and storefront sales operations.
- A private placement purchase of senior subordinated notes from and preferred and common membership units in Databank Holdings, LLC, a Delaware limited liability company and its subsidiaries, providers of business scanning, indexing and storing (physically and/or electronically) documents and providing software, hardware and professional services to manage, store and retrieve documents and other information.
- The financing of an add-on acquisition and a joinder of the newly acquired subsidiary into Merion’s existing mezzanine credit facility to Databank IMX LLC, a leader in document management and document conversion services with state-of-the-art production centers nationwide, and its subsidiaries.
- A senior term loan credit facility and a preferred equity co-investment to finance a private equity sponsor’s acquisition of a leading provider of commercial kitchen fire prevention and related maintenance services.
- NewSpring Capital in a recapitalization and growth financing for MinSec Holdings, Inc., a leading provider of community corrections, behavioral health and drug/alcohol treatment services throughout Pennsylvania.
- Edison Venture Fund, Smith Defieux Capital Partners (Smith Defieux) and a group of Edison’s limited partners in a $42 million recapitalization of Health Market Science (“HMS”). Blank Rome also advised Edison in its initial $4.25 million investment in HMS.
- PBM Capital Group, LLC, a private investment firm primarily focused on private equity, publicly traded securities, and special opportunities, in the capitalization of, and acquisition of assets by, GigaCyte, a novel stem cell research and drug discovery company.
- Versa Capital as agent and arranger of an $85 million debtor-in-possession financing and as initial plan proponent in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of Shapes/Arch Holdings, LLC and its businesses Aluminum Shapes LLC, Delair LLC, Ultra Hardware LLC and Accu-Weld LLC.
- CMS Small-Cap Private Equity Fund in its acquisition of Cedar Valley Exteriors, Inc. The terms were not disclosed. We also represented the fund in its acquisition of Multi-Flow Industries.
- Meidlinger Partners, a private equity firm with operational expertise in the water and wastewater sectors, in its preferred stock investment in Liberty Hydro, Inc., a water focused environmental technology company. We also represented Meidlinger Water Investments in its follow-on investment in Liberty Hydro, Inc.
- Blue 9 Capital, LLC, a private equity fund that invests in middle market companies, in several transactions, including:
- The purchase of a minority interest in Hirtle Callaghan & Co, a $20 billion Philadelphia-based asset manager specializing in outsourced chief investment officer services.
- The acquisition of an equity interest in Running Subway, LLC, which creates, develops, produces, promotes and operates live theatrical and entertainment-based shows, events, exhibitions and attractions.
- Blue 9 Capital, LLC, an ongoing shareholder in Five Below, the leading retailer of trend-right, extreme-value merchandise to the teen and pre-teen markets, in connection with Advent International’s investment in Five Below.
- Blue 9 HairCare Fund, LP, in an additional equity investment in Sally Hershberger Professional Hair Care, LLC.
- Automated Trading Desk, Inc. (“ATD”), a Technology Crossover Partners portfolio company, in its $680 million sale to Citigroup Inc.
- AmQuip Corp., one of the nation’s largest providers of industrial crane rentals, sales, and related services, in its $320 million acquisition by Bard Capital Group, LLC, a private equity investment firm.
- DecisionOne Corporation, a portfolio company of Cerberus and Highland Capital and a provider of information technology maintenance and support, in connection with its $104 million acquisition by Glodyne Technoserve Inc., the US subsidiary of Glodyne Technoserve Ltd., a technology infrastructure management services company based in Mumbai, India.
- SDI Health LLC, an LLR Partners portfolio company, in its acquisition of Verispan, LLC. The acquisition created one of the industry’s most innovative and comprehensive healthcare analytics companies. We also recently represented SDI Health LLC in its sale to IMS Health.
- Fastech Investment Group, LLC, a portfolio company of NewSpring Mezzanine Capital, in its acquisition of Aserdiv, Inc.
Experienced Attorneys, Recognized in Their Fields
Our attorneys are frequent lecturers on topics related to private equity. We “wrote the book” on all aspects of valuing and selling businesses and capital formation. Titles penned and edited by our attorneys include: Valuing Your Business, The Complete Guide to Employee Stock Options, a guide to implementing a seamless, successful stock option plan; The Complete Guide to Valuing and Selling your Business; Financing your Business with Venture Capital, a roadmap to the intricate world of outside capital; and The Going Public Handbook.