“[Focusing] in midmarket transactional matters . . . . The group wins
widespread praise for its excellent service and ‘strong talented lawyers
who respond instantaneously.’ Sources also admire the practice
because it ‘truly values and invests in its relationships with clients.’ ”
Our corporate and public companies practice serves middle-market clients across a broad spectrum of industries, including banking, broker-dealer, cemeteries, distributors, healthcare, financial institutions and their holding companies, insurance, maritime, manufacturing, product distribution, technology companies, retailers, utilities, real estate investment trusts, and financial services companies. We provide strategic counseling and services in every corporate area including:
- mergers and acquisitions
- compliance issues
- public and private capital formations
- merger/tender offers
- employee benefits
- stock option plans and other stock-based compensation
- shareholder agreements
We cater to the needs of emerging companies in the middle-market sector, including emerging business, venture capital, closely held family business, private equity, middle-market transactions or large capitalized companies, troubled companies, public sector and contracting, and international trade. Middle-market deals usual range from $10 million to $100 million.
Business matters include structuring and formation of business entities, acquisitions and dispositions, debt-financing transactions, equity investments, succession planning, transnational matters, contract review, joint ventures (formation and governance), as well as regulatory and compliance matters.
Select Engagements—Mergers and Acquisitions
- Provider of first responder protective equipment, in its sale to a private investor.
- Common carrier of digital data messaging for marine communications, in the acquisition of a marine communications provider.
- Global software provider, in the acquisition of a provider of retail transaction software.
- Financial services software and technology provider, in the acquisition of a business-to-business solutions software provider.
- Publicly traded owner and operator of cemeteries, in the approximately $12.9 million acquisition of 21 cemeteries and six funeral homes from a funeral services company.
- Financial services software and technology provider, in the acquisition of provider of economic capital management software.
- Waste management holding company, in the approximately $10 million acquisition of large trust.
- Technology support services corporation, in the sale of one of its divisions.
- Private equity investment firm, in the acquisition of two large paper distributors, and related financing. A commercial finance firm provided $165 million in debt-financing to support the purchase.
- Real estate investment advisory firm, in the $3.4 billion acquisition of a publicly traded REIT.
Select Engagements—Public and Private Securities
- Private equity firm, in their investment in preferred securities and warrants of a common carrier of digital data messaging for marine communications.
- Developer of laser-guided directed-energy technology, in an approximately $18 million PIPE transaction involving the issuance of Series A Convertible Preferred Stock.
- Hawaiian inter-island ferry service operator, in financing involving an approximately $210 million private placement of its Series C Preferred Stock and a federally guaranteed loan.
- Provider of wireless communications access solutions, in an $18.9 million PIPE transaction involving the issuance of Series B Convertible Preferred Stock and warrants.
- Developer and distributor of medical diagnostics for OTC use, in their $2.3 million investment in ordinary shares of an Israeli diagnostics company.
- An early-stage venture capital firm, in the follow-on $650,000 venture capital investment of preferred stock in a provider of college guides.
- A national venture capital firm, in their $3.5 million investment in Series A Preferred Stock of an undisclosed company.
Experienced Attorneys, Recognized in Their Fields
For more than half a century, Blank Rome attorneys have served middle-market companies and are recognized as leaders in the field. They lecture and write in the areas of venture capital, bank financings, and mergers and acquisitions. Attorneys in the group have authored and edited several books reflecting their experience in the industry, including: Financing Your Business with Venture Capital, a roadmap to the intricate world of outside capital; Valuing and Selling Your Business; the Going Public Handbook; and Employee Stock Options, a guide to implementing a seamless, successful stock option plan.