William R. Bennett III
|New York, NY||v. +1.212.885.5152||f. +1.917.332.3858|
William (Bill) R. Bennett, III concentrates his practice in international and maritime litigation and alternative dispute resolution. He has experience litigating and arbitrating all types of marine and shore-based disputes, including:
- contract disputes
- insurance coverage issues
- personal injury
- wrongful death
- charter party disputes
- fire and cargo disputes
Mr. Bennett has also served as arbitrator and mediator for personal injury and contract disputes.
Mr. Bennett obtained his Unlimited Third Mate’s license from the United States Coast Guard. He worked aboard various vessels in the capacity of Third Mate, Second Mate (limited tonnage), and Master (limited tonnage), including oil tankers, ocean-going tugs, dredges, and yachts.
Mr. Bennett is a frequent presenter and has recently spoken on topics such as "The Staten Island and SeaStreak Ferry Casualties: Pointers on How to Deal With the Press, National Transportation Safety Board, and United States Coast Guard" for the New York City Bar Association, "Protecting Maritime Liens in U.S. Bankruptcy Cases" at the 8th International Conference of Maritime Law, and "Arrest and Foreclosure of Vessels in the United States (incl. Bankruptcy)" at Marine Money 2013.
Mr. Bennett was named to the 2013 edition of Super Lawyers and has received the highest possible rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
- Represented the master of a passenger ferry following an accident resulting in multiple fatalities and injuries; taking part in successful plea negotiations without incarceration and negotiations with USCG to maintain his license.
- Represented one of the largest Japanese shipowners in Rule B and Rule C proceedings and its subsequent bankruptcy filing; successfully obtaining a release of its vessel and assets.
- Obtained two defense verdicts for two separate vessel owners in claims for passenger personal injury.
- Successfully defended an international freight forwarder at trial for a claim arising from the loss of a full container of wearing apparel.
- Successfully represented a coal trader in obtaining a recovery for breach of an FFA contract against vessel operators by filing a Rule B proceeding against affiliated companies under the theory of alter ego.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Bennett serves on the board of the Westchester Exceptional Children’s School.