|New York, NY||v. +1.212.885.5209||f. +1.917.591.8538|
Jared Zola is a partner in Blank Rome's policyholder-only insurance coverage practice, formerly the insurance practice of Dickstein Shapiro LLP. Mr. Zola has litigated cases across the country for corporate clients as well as individuals and religious institutions. He has handled matters involving nearly every line of coverage including political risk, maritime, product contamination, media liability, cybersecurity, fidelity, employment practices liability, professional indemnity, directors and officers, builders risk, commercial property, and general liability. Since January 2008, Mr. Zola has helped clients obtain more than one billion dollars in insurance recoveries.
Mr. Zola’s work maximizing insurance assets has earned him significant praise, as noted in his recognitions listed below. In 2016, he was named by Law360 as a “Top Attorney Under 40” for the third consecutive year in the insurance category for his work on behalf of policyholders—he is the only attorney to ever be named a “Rising Star” more than once in the insurance category. In 2016, the New York Law Journal named Mr. Zola a “Rising Star” under the age of 40.
| Clients appreciate that he is ‘very creative in the way he approaches problems with insurers.’
Chambers USA recognizes Mr. Zola as a leading policyholder insurance lawyer. Chambers noted his “particular skill in the political risk and media arenas” and described him as “someone who is doing really well for his clients.” Clients have also said that he is “accomplished, responsive, and provided clarity throughout the legal process—he was unequivocal in his commitment to the legal resolution.”
Mr. Zola is a frequent analyst for NBC News, CBS News, Business Insurance, and Law360. He publishes on a wide range of issues impacting insurance coverage and is regularly asked to speak at events, seminars, and legal education programs across the country. Recently, he presented on “Key Insurance Coverage Issues for In-house Counsel” to the national Association of Corporate Counsel, and on “Cyber Risk” at the Northeast Corporate Counsel Forum.
Mr. Zola is also a member of Blank Rome’s Pro Bono Committee.
- Global food manufacturer—Trial co-counsel in a lawsuit seeking accidental contamination coverage for a product recall in China.
- International petroleum storage venture – Lead counsel in two unrelated coverage litigations pending in New York federal courts involving marine insurance.
- Major international law firm—Lead counsel seeking coverage under an employment practices liability insurance policy.
- NFL player—Seeking coverage under a Loss of Value insurance policy after an unforeseen injury in college negatively impacted his NFL draft position.
- Fortune 100 manufacturing company—Seeking coverage for a $100 million fidelity claim in federal court in the Midwest.
- Multibillion private equity firm—Lead insurance counsel in connection with corporate transactions.
- Hedge fund—Lead counsel advising on D&O issues involving outside directorship positions.
- Media company—Lead counsel in a New York federal court litigation involving coverage for alleged injury arising from publication of a constitutionally protected news report and video excerpts.
- Global systems integration company—Represented company seeking more than $50 million of coverage from its professional indemnity insurers for a claim involving alleged False Claims Act and Anti-Kickback Act violations.
- Global systems integration company—Represented company seeking more than $40 million of coverage from its professional indemnity insurers for a claim involving alleged omissions and breaches during a major project with a British utility company.
- Real estate investment firm—Represented company in litigation seeking more than $100 million from its political risk insurer for losses that it suffered with respect to various financing transactions involving Mexican resorts.
- Major media and advertising company—Represented company in a $20 million coverage dispute involving D&O coverage for shareholder derivative claims.
- International real estate developer—Counsel seeking coverage for company that sustained more than $20 million of loss as a result of a major weather event under its builders risk insurance policy.
- Prominent orthopedic surgeon—Lead counsel in a coverage dispute that resulted in obtaining lifetime Total Disability benefits after the insurer initially denied coverage.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Zola provides pro bono legal representation to homeowners in the greater New York City area seeking insurance coverage for losses sustained in “Superstorm Sandy.” He also represented—on a pro bono basis—the Queens Comprehensive Perinatal Counsel, obtaining a favorable settlement on the opening day of trial. He recently received correspondence from that client, which stated: “You provided QCPC, Inc. with stellar pro bono legal assistance. You were professionally responsive; provided clarity throughout the process; and [were] committed to a legal resolution.” After a second successful representation, in 2014, the client wrote to him: “You have consistently achieved favorable outcomes for QCPC, Inc. . . .” and that the firm “has outstanding legal teams led by Mr. Jared Zola, Esq.”
In 2015, he obtained a third consecutive victory for QCPC in a matter before the Environmental Control Board.
He is a regular fixture in spin classes at SoulCycle’s Tribeca studio in lower Manhattan. Mr. Zola supports several charities including Charity:Water, which works in developing countries around the world, bringing clean water to people in need, and the ASPCA together with his wife, Katie, who is involved with the charitable organization. He also rides in the annual “Cycle for Survival” event, which is Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center’s national fundraising movement to beat rare cancers.
- 2014–2016, “Rising Star,” listed in Law360
- 2016, “Rising Star,” listed in the New York Law Journal
- 2011–2016, “Rising Star,” listed in New York Super Lawyers
- 2013–2016, Insurance: Dispute Resolution: Policyholder Law, listed in Chambers USA
- 2012, listed in Legal 500
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.