Michael K. Bell
|Houston, TX||v. +1.713.632.8635||f. +1.713.228.6605|
Michael Bell is a member of our Maritime Emergency Response Team (“MERT”).
Michael Bell concentrates his practice in complex maritime litigation and corporate transactions. He has more than 40 years of experience, both domestically and internationally, counseling shipping companies, oil service companies, major petrochemical producers, refiners, offshore construction companies, and terminal operators in various matters, including:
- maritime casualties, including ship collisions, sinkings, groundings, explosions, and fires
- charterparty disputes
- insurance coverage disputes
- coastwise trade
- negotiating and drafting complex maritime agreements, including vessel construction, purchase and sale; time, voyage and bareboat charterparties; towage; contracts of affreightment; bills of lading; master services agreements; general terms and conditions; indemnity and insurance provisions
- general commercial litigation
- maritime environmental law, including oil spills
- maritime general average cases
- maritime piracy cases
- OCSLA transactions, disputes and oilfield contracts
Chambers USA notes that “one impressed source” says Mr. Bell is an “exceptionally skilled technical lawyer,” and further notes, “He concentrates his practice on dealing with maritime disasters and casualties, charter party disputes and environmental issues. Clients admire that he ‘tends to speak freely and directly’ and that ‘he’s well connected to the industry so gets different perspectives.’”
Mr. Bell served as an officer in the U.S. Coast Guard and also served as an attorney for both the Coast Guard and the U.S. Department of Justice.
He also acts as a mediator, an arbitrator, and is a member of the Houston Maritime Arbitration Association.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Bell serves on planning committees for several maritime law organizations. He is a member of the Board of the Houston Marine Insurance Seminar and the Houston Maritime Association. He is also a former member of the U.S. Coast Guard’s Navigation Safety Advisory Council. He has served as a Board member of the Maritime Law Association of the U. S. and as a Board member of the U. S. Coast Guard Academy Alumni Association.
Mr. Bell frequently speaks at continuing legal education program for the Texas Bar.
- 2016–2017, Transportation: Shipping/Maritime: Litigation Law, listed in Chambers USA
- 2017, listed in Legal 500
- 2017, listed in Who’s Who Legal – Transport
- Shipping and Maritime Law, listed in Who’s Who Legal
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.