Shawn M. Wright
|Washington, DC||v. +1.202.772.5968||f. +1.202.572.8395|
CHAIR, WHITE COLLAR DEFENSE AND INVESTIGATIONS PRACTICE GROUP
Shawn M. Wright concentrates her practice in the area of white collar criminal litigation, with a specific focus on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA") and international anti-corruption laws; criminal antitrust; public corruption; and government contracts matters. She represents corporations, Boards of Directors, and corporate executives in a wide range of internal and government investigations, audits and risk assessments, parallel proceedings, complex civil litigation, and before enforcement agencies and bodies such as the U.S. Department of Justice ("DOJ"), Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC"), and other authorities.
Ms. Wright’s practice includes internal compliance program development for the FCPA including establishing workplace compliance policies and procedures, due diligence in mergers and acquisitions, third-party relationships and other transactions. She conducts internal investigations and provides counsel on violations of the International Traffic in Arms ("ITAR") and the Department of Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control ("OFAC").
Additionally, she has substantial experience in defending high-profile clients against criminal and civil charges in federal and state courts throughout the country involving alleged violations of fraud, securities, healthcare, public corruption, and other criminal statutes. She also represents companies and nonprofit corporations, and their Boards of Directors, in criminal, civil, and administrative proceedings arising from corporate governance, compliance, and internal controls issues.
- Representation of public companies in conducting FCPA risk assessments and FCPA due diligence on M&A and joint venture transactions.
- Conducted internal investigations for Fortune 100 company into allegations involving trade sanctions violations.
- FCPA due diligence review for foreign companies with agents and subsidiaries in multiple countries.
- Representation of a Fortune 100 company in an internal investigation of one of their foreign subsidiaries involving allegations of FCPA violations.
- Representation of CFO in an ongoing investigation by the Department of Justice and Securities Exchange Commission regarding allegations of FCPA and trade sanctions violations.
- Conducted multiple internal investigations for multinational companies involving allegations of FCPA, procurement fraud, and Anti-Kickback issues.
- Representation of healthcare organizations in Department of Justice investigations involving anti-kickback and off-label issues.
- Representation of 501 (c)(6) and 501 (c)(3) organizations on a variety of matters, including third party due diligence, corporate governance, compliance and review of financial internal controls.
- Representation of a publicly traded shipping company in federal criminal antitrust investigation.
- Representation of several corporate executives in criminal antitrust investigation of automobile industry conducted by DOJ.
- Representation of pharmaceutical company in criminal antitrust investigation of the generic pharmaceutical industry by the DOJ and state Attorney General’s office.
- Prepare antitrust compliance and training materials for public and private companies.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Ms. Wright serves as Chair for the Maryland Commission on Civil Rights. She maintains active membership in various bar associations, the Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics, Society of International Affairs, and the Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals. She is a member of the William Bryant Inn of Court. She is also a board member of the Institutional Board of Directors at Dimensions Surgery Center and Dimensions Health System.
2015 "White Collar Crime Trailblazer" by The National Law Journal
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.