Harrison M. Brown
|Los Angeles, CA||v. +1.424.239.3433||f. +1.424.239.3398|
Harrison Brown’s practice encompasses a wide range of business litigation and class action defense, with an emphasis on consumer fraud and privacy claims. Mr. Brown has extensive experience defending complex claims in both state and federal courts, including claims under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (“TCPA”), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (“FDCPA”), unfair competition and false advertising laws, California’s Song-Beverly Credit Card Act, and Invasion of Privacy Act.
Mr. Brown also has experience in commercial real estate, representing landlords, tenants, lenders, borrowers, and developers in various litigation matters, including breaches, construction defect claims, eviction disputes, and ADA defense. He has also assisted clients on labor and employment matters. In addition, Mr. Brown helps companies and entrepreneurs lawfully navigate their advertising, retailing, and e-commerce initiatives.
Mr. Brown is regularly published in leading industry publications concerning TCPA and social media matters. Some of his recent articles include “Good faith defense in TCPA class actions makes good business sense” (Inside Counsel, November 18, 2014), “Fighting Fail-Safe Classes In TCPA Claims” (Law360, June 12, 2014), "Social Media as Evidence in Civil Litigation – Last 12 Months in Review” (BNA Social Media Law & Policy Report, April 22, 2014), and “Courts Narrowly Interpreting an Automated Telephone Dialing System under TCPA” (InsideCounsel, April 1, 2014).
During law school, Mr. Brown served as the business development editor for the Chapman Law Review and received numerous commendations for his performance in national moot court and mock trial competitions.
- Obtained an early dismissal before an answer or motion practice in various class actions, including:
- iRestore v. Yelp, Inc., Southern District of Florida
- Lucas v. Hooters of America, LLC, Southern District of California
- Zandifaez v. Hooters of America, LLC, Central District of California
- Tan v. Harbor Freight Tools USA, Inc., Superior Court of Orange County, California
- Obtained an early judgment on the pleadings and/or summary judgment in class actions, including Latner v. Mount Sinai Health System, Inc., Southern District of New York, and Baghdassarian v. Mo Industries, LLC, Superior Court of Los Angeles, California.
- Defeated attempts to obtain class discovery prior to class certification.
- Secured a bench verdict in a trial in a contract dispute.
- Successfully petitioned the Federal Communications Commission for waiver of TCPA requirements.
- Obtained multiple favorable settlements in class actions involving statutory violations for the TCPA and the recording of telephone calls.
- Counseled national brands regarding their online and retail store services, ensuring legal compliance of marketing and promotions.
- Secured benefits for an Army veteran suffering from PTSD and permanent physical disability from the Iraq War.