Charles A. Fitzpatrick IV
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5608||f. +1.215.832.5608|
Charles Fitzpatrick is a member of the Firm’s commercial litigation practice group. He represents clients in a wide variety of commercial and corporate litigation contexts, including: business and contract disputes; class actions; zoning and land use disputes; products liability defense; and toxic tort litigation.
Mr. Fitzpatrick regularly represents businesses, government bodies, and individuals in federal and state courts and before administrative agencies, arbitration panels, and mediation panels. Mr. Fitzpatrick has taken cases to trial and negotiated complex settlements.
In 2016, Mr. Fitzpatrick was selected as one The Legal Intelligencer’s “Lawyers on the Fact Track,” a recognition given to only 35 lawyers under the age of 40 throughout Pennsylvania who have influenced the legal industry through their development of the law, commitment to the community, and service to the bar.
Before he began his career as an attorney, Mr. Fitzpatrick worked for U.S. Senator Arlen Specter. He was the Senator’s Deputy Political Director during the Senator’s successful 2004 primary and general election campaigns and served as a Legislative Aide in the Senator’s Washington, D.C. office from 2005 through 2007, where his portfolio included defense, foreign affairs, veterans’ affairs, and international trade matters. Mr. Fitzpatrick also worked as the Field Director on Congressman Patrick L. Meehan’s successful 2010 general election campaign.
While in law school, Mr. Fitzpatrick worked as an honors intern for the Honorable Timothy Rice, U.S. Magistrate Judge for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, and as an intern in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. In addition, he was a Senior Note & Comment Editor and an Associate Editor for the Temple International & Comparative Law Journal. Mr. Fitzpatrick is a recipient of the Jerry Zaslow Memorial Award, which is presented to Temple University Beasley School of Law graduates who demonstrate outstanding academic achievement as well as well-rounded activity within the law school community.
Mr. Fitzpatrick is a Philadelphia native and a graduate of St. Joseph’s Prep.
- Represented the co-founder of a nationally known manufacturer of haircare products in a complex dispute involving an attempt to force a sale of the company pursuant to a “drag-along” provision in the company’s shareholder agreement.
- Defeated a request for preliminary injunction in Pennsylvania state court that would have prevented Mr. Fitzpatrick’s client, a high-profile real estate developer, from moving forward with construction of a $180 million high-rise residential condominium project.
- Successfully represented a leading natural gas and oilfield services company in federal district court in a toxic tort lawsuit in which the plaintiff claimed injuries and the need for medical monitoring as a result of exposure to chemicals used for extracting natural gas from the ground using hydraulic fracturing. Through aggressive motion practice, summary judgment was granted by the court on all but one of eight counts. At trial, the jury rendered a complete defense verdict in favor of Mr. Fitzpatrick’s client.
- Represented client in a Daubert motion in the disqualification of a plaintiff’s toxicologist in a case alleging personal injuries as a result of alleged exposure to hydraulic fracturing chemicals.
- Represented the owner of dozens of nursing homes and a captive institutional pharmacy in a lawsuit brought in federal district court alleging that the owner violated the federal Anti-Kickback Statute (“AKS”).
- Successfully defeated a $70 million breach of contract claim and won a counter-claim on behalf of a building supply company in New York state court.
- Achieved summary judgment in Pennsylvania state court on behalf of a lending institution accused of violation of consumer protection statutes, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Successfully defended business entrepreneur in appeal of Philadelphia Zoning Board Adjustment decision allowing entrepreneur to renovate and restore unused commercial space.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Fitzpatrick is active in Pennsylvania politics and his Philadelphia community. He is a member of an advisory committee to the board of directors of the Hope Partnership for Education, a middle school and adult education center in North Philadelphia. Mr. Fitzpatrick is also an enthusiastic participant in Blank Rome’s pro bono programs. In 2011 and 2015, he was named to the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania Pro Bono Roll of Honor. Mr. Fitzpatrick also served as a mentor to Temple University Beasley School of Law students working in a clinic for the Red Cross in Philadelphia.
- 2016, “Rising Star” listed in Super Lawyers as a top rated business litigation attorney
- 2016, “Lawyers on the Fact Track” listed in The Legal Intelligencer
A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.