Christopher A. Lewis
Partner & Chief Officer of Diversity and Inclusion
|Philadelphia, PA||v. +1.215.569.5793||f. +1.215.832.5793|
Christopher A. Lewis is a partner and the chief officer of diversity and inclusion for Blank Rome LLP. He concentrates his practice on energy and public utility law, representing utilities, electric generation suppliers, developers, and others in regulatory proceedings, litigation, and transactional matters.
Mr. Lewis is the current chairman of the Philadelphia Energy Authority, and a trustee on the Council of Trustees of West Chester University of Pennsylvania. He also currently serves as a member of the Federal Judicial Nominating Commission for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, which screens candidates for Senators Casey and Toomey in connection with potential appointments to the federal bench.
Mr. Lewis is a 1975 graduate of Harvard College, B.A. in Government, magna cum laude, and a 1978 graduate of the University of Michigan Law School, J.D., magna cum laude. He served in Governor Robert P. Casey’s administration from 1989-1991 as secretary of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the agency head for Pennsylvania’s Department of State, and as executive deputy in the Office of General Counsel from 1987-1989.
In 2000, Governor Ridge appointed Mr. Lewis to the Judicial Conduct Board of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the state agency that investigates and prosecutes judges for ethical misconduct. In 2004, Mr. Lewis served as chair of the Judicial Conduct Board.
In 2008, Mr. Lewis was selected as an elector for the 2008 Electoral College. He was a member of the National Finance Committee for President Barack Obama, as well as a delegate to the Democratic National Convention, pledged to Senator Obama, and elected from the 7th Congressional District in Pennsylvania.
- Representation of electric utility in federal court and AAA arbitration in successful defense of $28.5 million breach of contract claim in connection with termination of outsourcing agreement for AMR electric meters
- Successful defense of school district in preliminary injunction proceeding alleging violation of the Sunshine Act
- Representation of a publicly traded telecom carrier before the PA PUC in successful, fully litigated effort to obtain a certificate of public convenience approving merger with another telecom carrier.
- Representation of pipeline public utility before the PA PUC in connection with certificate of public convenience, objections to public utility status, zoning exemptions, tariffs, and eminent domain
- Representation of public utility in defense of enforcement action brought by PA PUC’s Bureau of Investigation and Enforcement, after a contractor struck and damaged a gas main on a construction project
- Representation of pipeline public utility in connection with safety complaint alleging violation of PHMSA regulations in connection with siting and depth of pipelines
- Representation of retailer of electricity in connection with Office of Attorney General and Office of Consumer Advocate investigations and complaints
- Representation of wholesale and retailer of electricity before the PA PUC in connection with utility default service procurement plans, energy efficiency plans, and miscellaneous proceedings
- Representation of asset manager and public pension plan before the PA PUC in connection with a complaint to halt a proxy solicitation concerning the parent of a regulated utility.
COMMUNITY SERVICE & AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Lewis is married to Kimberly C. Nesmith, a licensed cosmetologist, and has two children: Hope, a graduate of Wellesley College and a former Peace Corps Volunteer in Rwanda, and Vance, a graduate of Howard University, and a former Teach for America corps member.
Mr. Lewis’ interests include golf, sailing, scuba, adventure travel, computer programming, Michigan football, and step aerobics. He is a member of the Philadelphia Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., and Sigma Pi Phi Fraternity, Alpha Boule.