When companies file for Chapter 11, they don’t always end up in liquidation. They may reorganize as a viable company or seek to sell their assets. In either case, they will often need debtor-in-possession (“DIP”) financing, which can be a highly complex transaction requiring experienced legal counsel for both the debtor and the lender(s).
Our bankruptcy and restructuring attorneys know how to bring these transactions to fruition. While our focus is primarily with pre-petition and post-petition lenders, we also represent debtors and creditor committees across a range of industries including manufacturing, consumer products, energy, retail, technology, and more. We work with our clients to avoid cash collateral fights and limit the number of concessions to the debtor, unsecured creditors, and the bankruptcy court. When a lender provides financing as part of reorganization, we are adept at managing the bankruptcy process, negotiating approvals, and providing financial documentation to provide the protection our clients need.
We take a multidisciplinary approach combining the skills of our bankruptcy and restructuring attorneys with those from other departments such as finance, financial services, litigation, private equity, and cross border, among others, to make sure you receive a comprehensive review of your specific needs and requirements. Many DIP financing transactions occur in Delaware, where we have a significant presence, however, we’re able to handle transactions in jurisdictions around the country. Our clients are banks, agents, financial institutions, private equity and hedge funds, and institutional investors.
How We Can Help
Our attorneys have broad experience with every aspect of DIP financing, including:
- Defensive DIP financing
- Priming liens
- Restructuring milestones
- Offensive DIP financing “loan to own” strategy
- Loan terms, rates, and maturity dates
- Defaults on DIP agreements
- Asset sales under section 363
- Filings and disclosure documentation
- Intercreditor (multilayered) agreements
What Sets Us Apart
- Chambers USA noted we have a “stellar bankruptcy and restructuring team handling the full range of issues including Chapter 11 and Chapter 15 matters, as well as related bankruptcy litigation. Maintains a specialty practice advising maritime and transportation clients, and possesses significant knowledge of complex financing transactions.”
- 2019 Chambers USA recognized the Firm for Bankruptcy/Restructuring in Delaware and ranked us Band 1 in Philadelphia (PA) and Surrounds.
- Our bankruptcy practice ranked at the top of The American Lawyer’s Corporate Scoreboard in 2011.
- Four of the team’s attorneys are fellows of the prestigious American College of Bankruptcy. One partner served as Third Circuit regent of the American College of Bankruptcy and another partner served as chairman of the American College of Bankruptcy Foundation and is a past chair of the American College of Bankruptcy.
- Many members of the group write and lecture extensively on issues involving corporate restructuring and bankruptcy.